Legend
Fixes: 259

Re: Few days of very slow connection ADSL

Sorry, Ian, but it won't. Sad

John
IanSn
Rising Star

Amazingly frustrating! One after another. Seems to have settled this evening.

Does this mean back to square one, or just wait a bit longer?

jab1
Legend

@IanSn my suggestion, for what it's worth - wait another day, and if there is no change either contact PN as suggested or post back here - I have a 'check-list' we could use to determine if it was just the power cut, or something a bit more major.

John
IanSn
Rising Star

Yes, sounds sensible.

Thanks, it may just have been a coincidence that troubles started at same time as power-cut. I've been hoping it wasn't.

Speed is still slow this evening...

IanSn
Rising Star

So. No change.

Tests results don't mean much to me, not my area of expertise, but I don't understand why I'm seeing these results.

I have a Q open on this but, before I get back to that, I need to know what I'm talking about, and why this report says there is no problem. There is.

I know there was a reset and I have to wait, but the line seems to be very stable - at a very slow speed.

Over 10 years with PlusNet, at these premises, I always had far better speeds than this so I know this isn't correct. Why is my profile set at this?

Other tests I've run (on this thread) have numbers up to 17.5. I accept I'm not likely to get that but 3.75?

BTPerformance15aug2022.png

There was an engineer here back in June sometime, he went to the exchange and did something with a card. It was back to normal after that. I didn't do tests then as everything seemed fine.

ian

jab1
Legend

@IanSn That is an abysmal set of figures - absolutely none of them are acceptable.

Sorry to ask for more information, but that in itself doesn't point in a useful direction. Can you pleas post a screen shot of this report (obscuring the phone number), and the Help Desk page from your Hub (hiding your Username) - hopefully that will be sufficient to see what is wrong, but forgive me in advance if I ask for anything else.

John
IanSn
Rising Star

Glad you agree!

Please don't apologise, you are a godsend...

Router stats -

Uptime -- it must have restarted

1 - Product name:     Plusnet Router
2 - Serial number:     N7200111B002752
3 - Firmware version:     7.275.17_F2704N_Plusnet
4 - Board version:     F@ST2704N
5 - Mode     ADSL
6 - Uptime:     0 days 12:07:57
7 - Data rate:     468/4543    
8 - Maximum data rate:     832/21288
9 - Noise margin:     14.6/27.7    
10 - Line attenuation:     10.3/18.5    
12 - Data sent/received:     5.4M/73.2M    
20 - Broadband username:    
21 - Wi-Fi network/SSID:     PLUSNET-
22 - Wi-Fi connections:     Enable(802.11 b/g/n(up to 144 Mb/s))20 MHz WPS enabled    
23 - Wi-Fi security:     WPA2
24 - Wi-Fi channel:     Automatic (Smart Wireless)    
25 - Firewall:     Default
26 - MAC Address:     64:66:24:59:f8:0a
27 - Software variant     Version 1.0
28 - Boot loader:     7.275.11

-----

The screenshot from that BTW test doesn't show any more than the pdf I posted (except that its now 3.19)

Is this the page you need?

BTtest15aug2022.png

jab1
Legend

Thanks, Ian. Your router Help Page makes for grim reading. the data rate - both directions, is horrible as are the SNR figures.

This needs further investigation by BT/OR - I suggest you initially report a fault via https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/broadband/ , and report back what they say.

The screenshot is what I wanted, basically just to confirm the fault is within the BT/OR network, and nothing to do with you home one.

I don't know enough about the Hub0 (2704N), but does it report any error logs? If it does, it would be interesting to see what they say, but not essential, as you still have a problem.

John
IanSn
Rising Star

Doesn't seem to be any error-reporting on this router. I was sent this one earlier this year to replace a dead one.

Yes, I reported a fault on this link and that was when it was reset, and thus this wait. She seemed to think it just needed a reset to fix the problem. I'll need to get back to them now. Seems to be done by text these days, but I did get a call back. I'll keep these results to repeat at them, tho they don't mean much to me!

Thanks for your help!

v best, ian

jab1
Legend

Didn't think there was any error logs on there, to be honest, but it was worth a shot. how long have you got to the end of this contract? They really should have sent you a Hub1, but no matter, for the moment.

From that BTW Availability screen-shot, I would say the problem was not caused by the power-cut(s), although they won't have helped - IIRC the speed they report is obtained from BT test equipment which gets its information from  your connection, not your Hub.

If they call you back, insist on a OR visit - no amount of resets will sort this.

John
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi @IanSn,

I'm sorry about the slow connection speeds, I've just checked your account and can see that's happened due to the connection dropping out quite frequently.

Line tests don't show any obvious causes so can you make sure you've followed the checks outlined here as your next step please?

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jab1
Legend

@adamwalker I don't want to teach granny how to suck eggs, but the speed result on the BTW Availability checker shows (to me, at least), that there is a fault/error somewhere outside the OPs environment - unless you know better?

John
IanSn
Rising Star

Adam, all these items ticked.

Should I send that text back to the advisor now?

ian

greygit
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@adamwalker 

Pure speculation on my part, but my perception is that the software/firmware managing DLM has recently become overly 'sensitive'. I've other (connected) hypotheses.

Thinking forward...

With people worrying about power/utility bills (and whether they will be able to pay them), people will be powering down stuff they are not actively using. Perhaps the DLM software/firmware needs to be less sensitive to line drops unless BT/OR can defintively indicate that the line drop is due to a network problem (and most likely outside of customer's premises)?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@greygit wrote:

. Perhaps the DLM software/firmware needs to be less sensitive to line drops unless BT/OR can defintively indicate that the line drop is due to a network problem (and most likely outside of customer's premises)?

Maybe my assumption is wrong but I thought that if you log in to the hub and select disconnect it advised the interconnected infrastructure  that this was an intentional shut down and not a dropped connection?

Rather like the difference between shutting down a computer properly and pulling out the plug whilst the computer is still processing data.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'