Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Few days of very slow connection ADSL

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Few days of very slow connection ADSL

@jab1  yep it is the same as the router sync speed, but reported a day or two later, and yep, not good, not improved.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@IanSn  the sooner you call, the sooner it gets fixed - like i said before, move elsewhere and you waste a couple of weeks, then start again from last week. 

Get it fixed now, then consider your options

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@IanSn wrote:

@jab1  @Mustrum 

Actually picking up a zen scent on the wind. Cost be damned, I need something that works rn. Customer 'loyalty' only goes so far.

Would it still be the same problem tho?

Have you tried rebooting your hub just in case that sorts the problem?

Alternatively, as I read it, Openreach have let Plusnet down and reported that the line is fixed when you clearly still have a poor connection, this clearly needs feeding back to Plusnet and another, hopefully more competent, Openreach engineer looking again as per the message from Plusnet.  This can happen regardless of the ISP that is using  the BT network, including Zen. The difference is probably the level of customer support that you pay for regardless of whether support is needed.

As far as I am aware this ISP does not offer an ADSL service, which makes me wonder why you are on ADSL with an old Hub Zero when you could upgrade to Plusnet fibre with a new Hub Two for very little extra.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

@Mustrum wrote:

@jab1  yep it is the same as the router sync speed, but reported a day or two later, and yep, not good, not improved.

The tests I referred to in my reply before yours were both dated 19/08/22  (reply #43) and the BTW one reports an 'observed speed' towards the bottom - that is what I was referring to, and is the speed as far as the test socket.

John
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@IanSn wrote:

They have a broadband only offer which is what I need. This might be the nudge I needed.

Do they work over weekends?

If you're talking about Zen then they need a phone line to offer FTTC. The cost might be included in the price but it's still required.

Zen do Broadband only on FTTP services.

Brian

jab1
Legend

@bmc The OP has a phone line - but not via PN.

John
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@jab1 

Ah, forgot that. Just checked and Zen do indeed appear to offer broadband only.

However, as mentioned before by others, moving ISP is unlikely to sort the underlying problem - unless the move from ADSL to FTTC does the trick. They should get a better router out of it though.

Brian

pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@greygit wrote:

@adamwalker 

Pure speculation on my part, but my perception is that the software/firmware managing DLM has recently become overly 'sensitive'. I've other (connected) hypotheses.

Thinking forward...

With people worrying about power/utility bills (and whether they will be able to pay them), people will be powering down stuff they are not actively using. Perhaps the DLM software/firmware needs to be less sensitive to line drops unless BT/OR can defintively indicate that the line drop is due to a network problem (and most likely outside of customer's premises)?

I believe I can assure you that (contrary to what we have been told in the past) BT/OR DLM does 'know' the difference between a line fault and a router power down. Indeed, I would contend this was always the case, based on two things:

1. All my past experience of using ADSL

2. It is confirmed in the bowels of the text on DLM in: Kitz.co 

I'd be interested in your "other (connected) hypotheses"

jab1
Legend

@bmc I (and the OP) know the underlying problem need sorting - that is in hand, and yes, they certainly get a better modem/router out of it - as I did.

John
pvmb
Aspiring Pro

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@greygit wrote:

. Perhaps the DLM software/firmware needs to be less sensitive to line drops unless BT/OR can defintively indicate that the line drop is due to a network problem (and most likely outside of customer's premises)?

Maybe my assumption is wrong but I thought that if you log in to the hub and select disconnect it advised the interconnected infrastructure  that this was an intentional shut down and not a dropped connection?

Rather like the difference between shutting down a computer properly and pulling out the plug whilst the computer is still processing data.

I used to do that! Tedious and unnecessary. Just power down/reboot, no need for any of the magic rituals.

(Yes, I know we have all been told something else in the past. 😉 )

pvmb
Aspiring Pro

Just a quick reminder (might have been mentioned earlier) that you should be able to initiate an automatic full line test yourself, at any time. Useful if underlying fault is intermittent.

Using a mobile text:

"PHONE <landline No.>" to 07800 008121 - If Plusnet phone line

"PHONE <landline No.>" to 61998 - If BT phone line