Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feel like im back using...What to do?

michael41
Grafter

Feel like im back using...What to do?

..A 56k modem the internet is that bad.
Since Christmas and the bad weather our internet has become unbearable. I've been onto PlusNet in the past regarding this issue and they arranged engineers to call out which they called out but you might aswel have sent some chimps (I would feel they would have done a better job).  If it rains the internet gets worse and the ping is through the roof majority of the time.
PlusNet soon tell you that you will be charged £60 if not their problem but they're pretty useless when fixing a problem (after waiting 2 hours for an operator)
My son lives 400-500 metres away yet he can get 2mbps and has no problems which I have.
I really don't know where to go from here, I've been onto BT and they reassured me that I can get 7-11mbps if I move to them. (I've been with PlusNet for 10 years which why I'm reluctant to leave)
Should I leave PlusNet and try BT instead? because currently I wouldn't recommend PlusNet to a soul.
Our speed ranges from 0.3-0.9mbs download and 0.1-0.3 upload I feel that is a joke in this day and age.
We've bought multiple routers incase that was the problem and nothing changed.

We have not been charged once for engineers calling out yet the problem remains.

Paying £16.99 + line rental a month for this service.

5 REPLIES 5
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Feel like im back using...What to do?

Hi michael41,
I'm sorry to hear that you've been having problems with your connection. I'll break down your response with my response to make it a little easier to read.
Since Christmas and the bad weather our internet has become unbearable. I've been onto PlusNet in the past regarding this issue and they arranged engineers to call out which they called out but you might aswel have sent some chimps (I would feel they would have done a better job).  If it rains the internet gets worse and the ping is through the roof majority of the time.

I'm sorry that you've had such a negative experience from the engineers that we've sent you out. Unfortunately we don't have an option to specify which engineer goes out, other than the type of engineer (Phone/Broadband). Engineers should completely their quality checks to ensure that your line passes all the line checks. If you're having an issue, specifically when it rains, that points me to have the Copper Joints investigated ad to have all cable joints checked as there maybe come cabling exposed which is causing issues when it rains.

PlusNet soon tell you that you will be charged £60 if not their problem but they're pretty useless when fixing a problem (after waiting 2 hours for an operator)

The charge is only valid if we send an engineer out, and the engineer proves the fault to be with your equipment or internal wiring (something that could have been avoided had the checks we asked been carried out). we're currently experiencing very high call volumes and we're working as quickly as we can to get the wait times down.
My son lives 400-500 metres away yet he can get 2mbps and has no problems which I have.

Your son may be connected to a different cabinet or connected to completely different cabling which maybe of higher quality.
I really don't know where to go from here, I've been onto BT and they reassured me that I can get 7-11mbps if I move to them. (I've been with PlusNet for 10 years which why I'm reluctant to leave)
Should I leave PlusNet and try BT instead? because currently I wouldn't recommend PlusNet to a soul.

It's very unlikely that switching providers is going to solve the problem. We use the same network/cabling as most other providers (LLU an exception), so the problem will likely remain. We'd much rather get the problem fixed and I'm confident we can do that.
We've bought multiple routers in case that was the problem and nothing changed. We have not been charged once for engineers calling out yet the problem remains.

We've not charged you for the engineer call outs as no fault has been found internally, but I feel that further testing and investigation could and should have been carried out external to your property.
If you need to raise a fault, this can be done at http://faults.plus.net
michael41
Grafter

Hi Again Chris,
I've been onto technical team today and basically they said nothing they can do. They said the usual, replace the router. I'm at a dead end so I'm gonna try turning off interleaving to see if that helps any because I got nothing to lose.
dragon2611
Grafter

If you're getting slow speeds and disconnections turning off interleaving is probably going to be the worst thing you can do as you've effectively removing a layer of error correction
michael41
Grafter

Lost internet connection last night..was this Plusnet doing maintainence or my usual lose connection when it rains?
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Michael41,
It shouldn't have been anything on our side however there have been extensive works ongoing for a few weeks now on the BT network following the damage caused by the electrical storms and spats of heavy rain we saw. You can find some details on this here if you want to look into where the affects have been felt. In addition to this there is also regular planned maintenance which takes place each week which could have been the culprit which can call be seen here.