cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fed up!

ivesy
Grafter

Fed up!

I've been with Plusnet for a few years now but found my ADSL BB speeds kept dropping over a period of time.  I was told by Plusnet this is something that happened beyond their control and that once fibre BB was available I should go for that.
So I did.....I've had it for about a month or so now and after about a week I seemd to be getting speeds of about 25-30Mb which was great compared to the 1.5-2.5Mb I was getting.  I was concerened however that I was told originally I should get speeds of anything from 69-80Mb.  Also I've heard the more people who get this service who live near me then the speed could drop? Anyway I contacted PLusnet support who said my speed was around 79MB. 
That was yesterday so jst now about 15 mins ago I went to the BT Wholsale site to do a speed test and I get 2.1Mb!!!! I've done a few more since but that's what I'm getting.
I've been told I'm on a 'virtual network' but I'm sorry I have no idea what that means but apparantley I'm on this for up to the next 2 weeks!!
So in the meantime I have to pay full whack for a service that is now slower than I had previously!
42 REPLIES 42
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Fed up!

Hi Ivesy,
What does the PN user portal report your current speed to be?  Log into the portal, go to connection / high speed broadband.  The figure there is your IP profile.
What does the BT Wholesale speed test say your profile is?
If these figures are different, then that is the cause of the problem and PlusNet support should be able to fix this quickly.  There seems to have been a spate of late updates from BTOR delivering ADSL operations IP profile figures which "clobber" the FTTC profile figures held by PN.  The consequence is that you get silly speed test results.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

All the profiles are correct.
Are you running the Speed Test via Wireless or Ethernet? If Wireless, can you please connect an Ethernet Cable and run another Speed Test?
ivesy
Grafter

Hi and thanks for the replies.
Yes I did it via wireless as I have done with all the speedtests I've done.  I have had speeds up to 30-40MB doing it this way.  Yes I'll do it through ethernet but surely getting speeds less than the ADSL I had can't be right even though I did the test through wireless?  When the missues gets off the laptop I'll give it a go.
Also why am I on a virtual network?
picbits
Rising Star

I've had speeds ranging from 3Mb to 40Mb through wireless - it can be remarkably unreliable especially if neighbours have routers on the same channels as you.
ivesy
Grafter

Ok this morning I got 72MB by plugging the laptop direct into the router via the ethernet cable.
This afternoon got in from work and tried the PC upstairs (wireless) and got very slow speeds less than ADSL around 1-2MB.
A person from Plusnet called Luke rang to say they had established it was a problem with their suppliers (BT?) whohave admitted there is a problem and this might take around 2 weeks to sort out!
The thing is after the call to day maybe around 4pm we then lost all broadband and it's only now at around 9.30pm that we are able to get it back.
I plugged the laptop again and got 72 MB about 10 mins ago, I unplugged the ethernet cable and did the test again and got 56MB.  I've carefully selected a wifi channel that is not the same as my neighbours so I don't understand the difference with the speeds especially when I did the wireless test sitting in front of the router!
Just ran a speed test now using the PC upstairs wireless and get 40MB so things seem back to normal but for how long?
I was also told today the more people who use fibre BB around here then the speed will drop dramatically but I asked this before I signed up and was told this would not happen.  Is this because of this fault?
xreyuk
Grafter

To me, that sounds like a problem with the wireless. Either on the upstairs PC, or the router.
shure
Grafter

If I understand you correctly, every time you run the test when wired you get 72Mb.  Is this correct?  If so then your problem is on the wireless side, not the speeds delivered by Plusnet.  Just to be sure connect wired at different times of the day and if you're still getting 72Mb then you can point your finger directly at your router.
Wireless can be a fickle thing.  It's affected by interference from other devices, overlapping channels and also walls and floors, especially if they are thick.  You can try getting range extenders, or maybe powerline adapters for your fixed PCs.
The thing that puts the cat among the pigeons is your internet going down completely for a while.  Now that does sound like a connection issue.  Sounds like you have two separate problems
ivesy
Grafter

Hi and thanks for the replies.
Yes the few times it's been wired I get around 72MB.  What I couldn't understand was how the wireless speed could drop by about 50% when I was literally a metre from the router.  When the router was installed I asked the engineer if we would get a better signal around the house from this new set up and he said we would which surprised me as the 'new' router looked exactly the same as the old one.  In fairness to PN some the problems I'm having are due to BT as I'm on this virtual network that gets affected by the more people who are on it.  But yes we've thought for a while even with ADSL BB that the range of the wifi signal isn't great and it's not as if we live in a house with very thick walls either. It's just a medium sized semi bulit about 30 years ago.  We certainly have never been able to use the laptop in the garden. I was considering getting a wifi booster not sure what to get any ideas? but I want to see what happens with my connection and speed issues first.  As the title says I'm fed up I thought fibre BB would be the answer to all our problems but if anything things are getting worse.  Sad
picbits
Rising Star

Surprisingly, using Wifi too close to the router can also cause slowdowns as the signal can overload some receivers.
My parents live in a house with thick walls (and some steel girders) so their wireless signal is dire whatever router they try.
You might want to consider trying homeplugs - you can pick up a pair for £15-£20 and they seem quite effective.
*Edit - for the garden  / Wifi you might want to try one of the Asus routers - they have good reviews when it comes to wireless range.
ivesy
Grafter

Well it's gone off again this evening. I switched both the openreach box and router off for 10 mins then switched back on, it seems to be ok for now......
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

When you say it went off, are you sure it wasn't the Wireless Connection dropping?
If it happens again, it might be worth connecting via Ethernet just to be sure.
ivesy
Grafter

Hi Chris
I've had a reply and your tests show my download and upload are now fine.  I ran the BT wholesale test and they show the same speeds.
I unplugged the etherent cable and moved a few feet from the router and did it again wireless and got a top speed of 0.04Mb!!!
My PC and phone can't connect even though the signal strength is excellent.
I've switched both router and open reach box off for 10 mins then switched back on but the results are the same.
I really think I've made a mistake getting fibre broad band as I seem to be having nothing but hassle with it.  Also bear in mind PN suggested I got fibre as had some speed issues with ADSL which were beyond PN and BT's control.
Right now I'd gladly walk away from my contract as long as I wasn't financially penalised as I am not getting the service I pay for.
any ideas or help would be appreciated but I still feel very  Sad and now I'm getting more than a little  >:(!
picbits
Rising Star

Don't switch the modem off too many times or you may find DLM will kick in and slow your connection speed. The router is a bit safer to reboot though.
ivesy
Grafter

Ok cheers.  Well I've done a reset through the configuration program on the ethernet connected laptop and found I'm getting 45mb wireless now in the living room.
Jut gone upstairs rebooted the PC but got a message from a pop saying "failed to connect to windows service" with an explanation below it.  I've never see than before?
Anyway went to my favourite web site and did a speed test and got 41.92Mb which wil do me but what will happen tomorrow?
Thank you for the response it is appreciated  Smiley