Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fed up with PN /BT

jaythe0ne
Grafter

Fed up with PN /BT

ok, i've had this problem with my service for 2 weeks now,
I had a billing issue with BT, and it ended up in having my services stopped all together, i had to phone BT and eventually got them to admit fault, I had my billing issues corrected, and i had to open a new account with them, i kept my same phone number.
I was told by BT that my services would be reconnected within 2 days and that PN would not notice any difference as my number had not changed, and thats what mt Broadband service was provided on.
I posted a question about this here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,60519.msg491720.html#msg491720 and was duly responded to. It seemed to confirm what BT had said.
That was 2 weeks ago, and guess what, no internet still.
I've been pushed from pillar to post, twice PN has tried to get a BT engineer out to check for faults, until i pointed out its not and equipment issue, its an issue with BT not reconnecting my DSL line, even though your system shows my line as connected.
I've now been contacted this morning, after yet again having to chase PN for a reponse, and been told that the only way that this will be resolve is to request a cease of my services by PN, this will take 5 days according to the man on the phoen this morning, and then have my line re-provisioned, this would take a further 5 days.
So all in all - its taken an unquantified number of phone calls from me to PN, because you seem wary about contacting me, over the last 2 weeks for you guys to come up with a work around thats going to take a futher 10 days.
And your agent on the phone this morning couldn't understand why i was upset with this. He even suggested that I pay a further £ 235 to try and escalate the issue, but couldn't guarantee that that would spped the service up - So why bother suggesting it then.
I ask you, do i really have to point out PN's short coming in this matter.
Now i know that your limited in what you can do because BT wholesale aren't customer facing, i cannot phone em and rip a piece off them. Anytime i phone BT they refer me to you as my ISP.
Surely therre is more that PN can do - it seems to me that i'm just a nuisance that won't go away, and your telling me anything just to get me off the phone.
heres my ticket number for anyone at PN towers that feels that PN have dropped the ball on this  - 24123730
14 REPLIES 14
James
Grafter

Re: Fed up with PN /BT

Hi there,
Whilst I can absolutely appreciate where you are coming from and I'm a little annoyed that you have had to chase for a phone call, it does look like process has been followed.
Basically, as per our discussion last week, we weren't able to see the PSTN Cease on BTs system, which is also the reason why we're having to place a cease order prior to placing a reprovide one.
I'm not comfortable with the fact that BT are making us place a cease order prior to having to place a reprovide order.  I'm trying to get someone here to escalate this to a Team Leader within BT Provisions to see if we can get the time frame reduced.
I'd definitely suggest that you kick off at BT Retail, because they have caused you to be £40 short of pocket.
I'm sorry for all of the hassle that this has caused you.
jaythe0ne
Grafter

Well if you need anything to get this escalated, liek my old or new BT account numbers so that BT wholesale can see that it was BT's fault that my service is screwed and have it escalted, give me a ring, i will gladly supply
notheruser
Grafter

I can't comment on PN's responsiveness to your calls, but in their defense, I would say this really is BT's fault. They have a standard method for doing everything, and getting them to change it, even when a problem is entirely their fault, is like trying to turn the tide. My employer spends 100's of £1000 with BT every year, and we face the exact same problems as anyone with a single domestic phone line. Shipped from pillar to post by staff who don't know or care who is really responsible for a fault, fed with excuses which we know are a pile of $*&£"@, and paying over the odds for so called "service". If PN are telling you they can't do something because of BT's response or lack of it, I'd be inclined to believe them!
James
Grafter

Oh it's absolutely BTs fault.  I've been on the phone to them for about the last hour.
2 out of 3 departments I've spoken to at BTs end say there is no serivce on the line, but Provisions say that there is.
Trying to escalate currently.
jaythe0ne
Grafter

* puts head in hands and weeps like a baby *
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I know it's not much consolation, but I'm trying to imagine how on earth this would have been sorted out at the ISP I just left - Tiscali. I think you would have had to cease everything and start all over again with another provider to be honest, taking weeks to do it.  Shocked
James
Grafter

Hi Jay,
As discussed, I've managed to get the lead time reduced to 5 working days from 10.
I've also refunded the £40 reprovide charge that you paid earlier by way of apologising for the inconveniences you have experienced.
notheruser
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
Hi Jay,
As discussed, I've managed to get the lead time reduced to 5 working days from 10.
I've also refunded the £40 reprovide charge that you paid earlier by way of apologising for the inconveniences you have experienced.

Let's see you get that from BT! Action, an apology, and money back all in one go! I'm impressed!
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

this whole tale is just another example of how BT treat customers with utter disdain; i'm trying to help a friend sort out an ADSL disconnection/ no sync issue that has now lasted 7 weeks. progress has been so slow its been laughable. at every opportunity my friend, the so called end user, (EU) was told to repeat the self test steps, reboot his router, test at the master socket, remove all other equipment, try another router; its a mantra that the isp and BT seem to chant as if it will clear the fault on the line without them having to do anything.  at the end of the day they do have to have a process to guide them through, but i think as a means to a satisfactory conclusion it is beginning to wear thin.
You have managed to get things rolling a lot quicker but it still makes your complaint none the less valid.
I'd suggest a couple of things for starters:
a target time by which all fault  issues should be resolved? ( a lot less than 7 weeks; eg 7 days)
contact by telephone or email is only OK if the end user understands what to do in response to instructions(as most of the time they will not) So a visit by a qualified engineer is nearly always vital.
which leads me to this; The fee of £144.00 plus VAT for an engineers  home visit to sort out problems that BT say are not theirs or the ISP's is disgraceful; it should be legally challenged in the courts as it is just a blatant rip off.  A fully qualified technician can only charge £50.00 an hour at the most and as ADSL users are buying into a service provided by an isp any fees incurred i making the ADSL service work properly should be at the expense of the isp. I don't think there is anything in the terms and conditions in  the contract sign up process about the £144 fee? If i'm wrong i cant find it
As an example  I have just fixed my brothers intermittent  BT broadband set up; it was cutting out whenever the phone rang; reason, no filter in place, but that had been diagnosed remotely as no fault  by  BT's systems & who demanded the £144 fee to come and take a look. My brother refused to pay it and it took me 2 minutes to fix!! How can that be worth £144?
In summary, PN, BT and the other ADSL providers need to devise a better,  swifter and more effective fault reporting and fixing process and not rip off customers when things go wrong.
Graham
zubel
Community Veteran

Quote from: gpsmout
In summary, PN, BT and the other ADSL providers need to devise a better,  swifter and more effective fault reporting and fixing process and not rip off customers when things go wrong.

For those technically minded This Link may hold some clues as to the future of ADSL
This sort of equipment removes 90% of the faultfinding from the User and moves it to the ISP.
B.
Ianwild
Grafter

To be fair though, Tr-069 is only useful where the line is up and running and has synch.
We hope to have a good TR-069 implementation available later this year as it's certainly got a lot of potential in both new set-ups and for supporting existing customers.
Ian
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: gpsmout

Graham

Can i just modify that remark to say "PN, BT and the other ADSL providers need to devise a better,  swifter and more effective fault reporting and fixing process and not GET INVOLVED IN RIPPING OFF  customers when things go wrong.
I don't see it as PN staffs fault that BT rip off users, even though PN are part of the BT group. Their hands are tied. What is needed is more robust legislation to prevent this from happening. For example, do the gas company charge a whopping fat fee if you have a gas leak? No, they make it safe for nothing and you call a corgi registered gas plumber and agree a fair price for the job. While it may well cost you more than  £144 +VAT, the work done is reflected in the price paid which in this scenario is not the case.
Graham
jaythe0ne
Grafter

Thanks for all your help guys, DSL line back up and internet running as smooth as ever.
Having said that, i got my first bill from BT on Saturday and guess what, its still f***** up. So if i have to go through all this again i will be pi**** off.
macmonkey1981

@gpsmout
If you haven't filtered sockets correctly that's clearly a case of end user not paying attention and failure to read the instructions that came with the hardware. how is the failure of the end user to fit filters correctly the responsibility of bt? they should charge you a fee for wasting their engineer's time when there is clearly no fault on the line from the exchange to the house.