cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faulty Wireless on TG582n?

ericwalker
Dabbler

Faulty Wireless on TG582n?

Hi, I have recently noticed that my TG582n has appalling wireless performance.
Even sat right next to it, with only 1 macbook pro connected, it gets 5.5mbps
(this has not been a problem in the past as I have 2 airport extremes used to increase wireless coverage) but I have started working more in the area serviced by the TG582n
Is this expected (having read the wireless is rubbish on this in a recent post), or is it probably faulty? I have done a factory reset of the device and still have the same issue
6 REPLIES 6
pjknighton

Re: Faulty Wireless on TG582n?

I'd be tempted to look at the channel the wireless is using.  If its on automatic, try cycling through the numbered channels and see if it improves.  Automatic isn't as helpful as it could be sometimes - if you are using the same channel as other wireless networks you can see then that can seriously lower connections speeds.
For example, I can only "see" 4 wireless networks at home other than my own.  I know which one is my direct neighbours and yet my wireless automatic configuration decided to broadcast on the same channel as theirs!  Connection speed was terrible.  Manually set it to a channel none of the others were using and I have it running at full speed.
ericwalker
Dabbler

Hi, thanks for the reply
I have cycled through all the channels, and no improvement.
There is not any overlapping other networks from neighbours either (SSIDs being broadcast at least) (being in a fairly remote area)
SWebster
Grafter

Hi,
Have you tried switching the wireless channel to manual and then trying another channel?  This is what worked for me.
I have just had fibre installed and had not realised that automatically, my router was connecting to channel 6.  Over the week that I had it, my speeds dropped dramatically with an upload speed of 2.5mb.  I went into the router and manually changed my channel to 12 and re-booted the router and no further problems - very good speeds.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi all,
@ericwalker
Are you certain speeds aren't an issue at the moment when you're not replying on the TG582n?
I ask as I checked your account and noticed we're investigating a fault with you at the moment.
If you're unsure try connecting via ethernet and running a test here: http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
ericwalker
Dabbler

Hi, my broadband certanly has speed issues, its syncing below predicted and has dropped a lot.
I always do the tests by ethernet...
I have basically disabled the wireless on the tg582n due to it not going above 5.5mbs and use 2 apple airport extremes instead to get full wireless n speed.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

OK, cheers.
Just wanting to make sure the two issues aren't being confused in any way.
Just spotted your other post about the fault here: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,132439.0.html
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team