cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faulty Technicolor TG582n router?

mplusnetuser
Grafter

Faulty Technicolor TG582n router?

For about seven weeks I've had a Technicolor TG582n router, on firmware 8.4.4.J, plugged into a single PC via a USB Ethernet port, with all wireless disabled, and no network or connection sharing.
It has an intermittent but very irritating problem, with three slight variations, which I wonder if is a known issue.
Sometimes there is no Internet access (as in no pings, no time syncing via UDP, no web pages, but the routers Internet light stays green, as do the other three lights). And the router interface is simply unavailable via (any) browser: the login page times-out without appearing. Rebooting the PC, but not the router, doesn't help. Rebooting the router fixes it. Without access to the router UI, those are the only 'fixes' I've been able to try. This has happened, I guess, maybe ten times over the seven weeks: sometimes every day or other day; sometimes not for weeks. (Plusnet folk will be able to see that every DSL reconnection over about the last two weeks, and I think all but one or two PPPoA reconnections, are due to this problem).
Just once, the Internet connection was still available while the router UI was thus inaccessible. Again, all I could do was reboot the router when I wanted access.
And today, for the first time, in the third variation, the Internet connection is fine, but the router UI is slow as molasses: taking about 90 seconds to show the login page (instead if more or less instantly, as is normal), with all subsequent navigation similarly taking much longer. I haven't rebooted the router yet, in case it helps with troubleshooting to have it in this state. The router log shows nothing odd.
There may be other funkiness going on too, but I only discover anything amiss when I boot the PC (and attempt to auto-log the connection details), which usually happens once or twice a day. It's not browser-related, as it happens with three different browsers. It's never happened while I've been using the PC (at least that I've noticed).
So, any ideas please? A known issue? Something fixed by a subsequent firmware version? Some other cause?
[Edited to clarify that when this happens, the Internet connection is almost always dead, but the router's Internet light, and the other three, stay green. It's as if the connection is there, but the router is unable to do anything with it.]
7 REPLIES 7
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Faulty Technicolor TG582n router?

AFAIK you have he latest firmware version on the router but I'm wondering if re-flashing the firmware might help. Have you tried a factory reset? (using the recessed button on the back of the router)
If neither of those fix the issue a replacement would probably be the way forward.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mplusnetuser
Grafter

Thanks for the response.
Have these symptoms been reported before?
I see (here) that there is a beta version around (10.2.2.B ?): does that address any such/similar issues? I know it addresses some wireless issues, which aren't yet relevant to me, and I don't want to add potential new bugs. But if there's anything relevant to my issue, then might that be a good option?
I haven't yet tried a factory reset. Are any of these options more likely than the other? In which order should we try them? I'm happy to follow your advice.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Have these symptoms been reported before?

Most likely, we don't always get to find out if what we've suggested has fixed the issue but let me know how you get on all the same. I'd try the factory reset first and re the firmware version I'm not personally sure but I will check that with our products team for you ASAP.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mplusnetuser
Grafter

Thanks again. I'm going to wait to hear about the beta firmware first, since there's no telling how long before the issue reappears, if at all, after the factory reset. So hurry up ;).
apjashley1
Grafter

Quote from: mplusnetuser
I see (here) that there is a beta version around (10.2.2.B ?

10.2.2.9 is the latest, there's also a 10.2.0.B
mplusnetuser
Grafter

Quote from: apjashley1
10.2.2.9 is the latest, there's also a 10.2.0.B

Okay, thanks. For bonus points, where's the version history ... ?  Smiley
mplusnetuser
Grafter

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
I see (here) that there is a beta version around (10.2.2.B ?): does that address any such/similar issues? I know it addresses some wireless issues, which aren't yet relevant to me, and I don't want to add potential new bugs. But if there's anything relevant to my issue, then might that be a good option?

[...]  re the firmware version I'm not personally sure but I will check that with our products team for you ASAP.
Adam

Any news yet, please?