Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fault charges

glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Fault charges

Why do ISP's have to pay openreach to fix faults?  Surely that's all covered in line rental etc.

8 REPLIES 8
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Fault charges

I believe we only pay if the fault is caused by the customer's equipment, wiring etc, the visits are only chargeable where the fault is not caused by Openreach.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@glloyd wrote:

Why do ISP's have to pay openreach to fix faults?  Surely that's all covered in line rental etc.

It is covered by "line rental etc" if the fault is unambiguously in the Openreach network system. This includes everything in the local loop up to - BUT NOT BEYOND -  the consumers Network Terminating Equipment (NTE) fixture at the consumer's premises.

This is the BT/Openreach NTE in your premises. If you have a NTE5 master socket then you will need to remove the bottom faceplate to break the connection between your home wiring and the Openreach network to establish where the fault lies to avoid the charge. NB - If the fault is in the consumer removable bottom faceplate itself, then it is deemed (AFAIK) to be a fault in the consumers side wiring. i.e. You pay. Smiley  

Apologies if you already know all this.

The average consumer has never actually had this clearly pointed out to them.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

BT Wholesale try to make ISPs pay towards the investigation of broadband faults by only providing the ability to report faults by ordering a chargeable service.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFdZcEx8oog

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

@Chris wrote:

I believe we only pay if the fault is caused by the customer's equipment, wiring etc, the visits are only chargeable where the fault is not caused by Openreach.

It's also the case that if the engineer reports 'no fault found', Plusnet, and subsequently you, will be charged the callout fee (£65 charge to the customer, probably around double that to PN.)

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

When we report a fault, as a company we have to agree to engineering time related charges if there is no fault with the BT network. If applicable, I believe we do only pass on a portion of this charge to customers.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@JayG wrote:

@Chris wrote:

It's also the case that if the engineer reports 'no fault found', Plusnet, and subsequently you, will be charged the callout fee (£65 charge to the customer, probably around double that to PN.)

Yeah. That's the 'killer' with this whole arrangement AFAIAC.

glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

That's terrible it makes ISP's reluctant to report a fault so make customers suffer poor service instead.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

It's not that we're reluctant to report faults, however it is why we stress that the customer should go through the troubleshooting guides in the first instance to try and rule out their equipment or internal wiring.

Following this, it's also why we must have acceptance from the customer that there will be a charge if, off the back of an engineer appointment, the fault is found to be with their own internal wiring or equipment.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet