cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fault after Engineer left

dean99

Fault after Engineer left

Hi all
I had fibre install on the 11/12/2013 Getting low speeds Was advised that speed should increase when engineer was onsite.
Got a fault that when I pickup corded phone the dsl light will turn off on the openreach modem. I am thinking I need a new engineer to come out as this was not any fault before the install. After a few moments The dsl light will Come back on and I can continue to use my line as well as my internet. The dsl light will also turn off when I hang the phone.
Speeds I am getting at the moment is 14mb download and 0.5 up speed
Can someone from PN have a look into this for me please. I have rise a fault Question #78454329

10 REPLIES 10
dean99

Re: Fault after Engineer left

Just got a text message to advised that the fault has been detected
(Potential Copper Joint Fault. Continue submitting trouble report)
would that course the dsl light to turn off when I answer my phone?

picbits
Rising Star

It could well be the reason for the fault.
More often seem to be a faulty card at the exchange or occasionally faulty microfilter but I assume the BT engineer fitted a new filtered faceplate when he did the install ?
dean99

No engineer advised that don't need micro filter as it is all done via the exchange or cabinet.  He ran a data cable from my phone socket to the room I have Internet.
He left the phone extention cable as it was. 
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

try putting your old micro filter back on the phone side of things, it could just be a local cross talk issue, certain devices that use the phone line do cause "issues" like that but a micro filter fixes the problem,
if the problem disappears then you've saved yourself a few days of problems, if it doesn't fix things then chances are its what the system detects as a genuine fault outside of your property......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
dean99

Yeah tried it in the phone and good measure I plug it direct into the socket for the phone.
The engineer did put new face plate on but the socket but he ran the cable direct from the inside the socket not using the line dedicated for data.
Thanks for the advice unsure if the is any more I could try.
dick:quote

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

so if I understood that correctly the engineer hooked the extension behind the master socket's faceplate (bypassing the filter) and then strung the data lead off the outlet feeding the extension again without any filters...
if I understood that correctly then there's a chance the problem is no adsl filter in the line circuit, now the flip side is, unless the engineer unscrewed the master unit from the wall and hooked the extension into the same block as the feeder for the master its classed as customer wiring and will be billed by BT (regardless of who caused the problem)  because everything after the BT termination to the master socket is "customer wireing problem"  if however the engineer that came out is a real chimp and he wired it into the back of the master socket it's BT's fault (by back I mean when you unscrew the new fiber faceplate its not on the mini terminal board there but when you unscrew that part its connected to the back of it) then its a free call out as its there fault Smiley
sorry if I don't get what your saying
your options depending on what setup you have are limited to removing the extension from the circuit or replacing the extension with one of those plug in units from places like this http://www.screwfix.com/p/telephone-extension-kit-20m/74545?kpid=74545&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%20Lis... although shop around you can probably find them cheaper (it was just the best picture I saw in 5 seconds)
then you can put an adsl filter into the phone socket, plug the extension into the filter, put a filter into the socket and then plug in any equipment you might have, I know 2 filters seems a lot for a single line but some digital telecom equipment really does need it Smiley
hope you get it sorted soon
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
picbits
Rising Star

There are a pair of terminals on the VDSL2 sockets which you can directly terminate a CAT5 pair into which are filtered. The engineer may (or may not) have crimped the extension into these.
The information I've had about that I've gleaned off the internet so may not be 100% accurate and I haven't tried it myself but when I did my initial research, people were using these as an easy way to patch the connections into panels.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you unscrew and remove the lower part of the master socket which has the phone socket you should find that the phone extensions are connected to the back of that. With it removed the phone extensions should have no dial tone. If they do have a dial tone when it's removed he's wired it up wrongly.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
dean99

Hi all thanks for all the help reason the line was dropping face plate that was fitted was faulty.
The low speeds i was getting the line needed resetting an engineer came out yesterday all fix now
picbits
Rising Star

Excellent news - glad you've got it all sorted Smiley