cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fault Checker

blahblah
Grafter

Fault Checker

Can someone explain the sense in a "fault checker" than arrives at the conclusion that because you did not purchase equipment from plusnet then the equipment must be at fault!!!!
28 REPLIES 28
Not applicable

Re: Fault Checker

How does the fault checker know where you bought your kit from?
What difference would it have where you bought your kit from?
I suspect that this may be a concern raised as the result of an ambiguous message - what exactly did the fault checker say?
Which checker are you referring to?
James
Grafter

Hi there,
It doesn't really matter where you get the hardware from.  If you are suffering from a loss in connection then it is always possible that the hardware is faulty, whether you get it from PlusNet, eBay or the planet Zorg.
It's part of standard diagnosis work to ensure that you don't get stung with a £144+VAT charge from BT.
Can you tell me exactly what the fault checker said?
blahblah
Grafter

It got to the question about if I had bought my equipment from plusnet and when I answered "no" it then said my equipment is therefore faulty, case closed. My router (belkin) is not faulty because everything was fine up until a few days ago and I still sometimes get a usable connection. I say "usable" because a speed check a few minutes ago put dl speed at 345kbs! Last night I was getting 2569kbs, much better but also not as good as a year ago when I was getting over 4000kbs (no, these are not one-off checks).
I would also like to no why two nights ago I couldn't get anyone on your support line after easily 15/20 minutes when this problem started. Are the support lines even manned around 11:30pm?
blahblah
Grafter

Now down to 179kbs
blahblah
Grafter

Connection dropped again
blahblah
Grafter

New low: 17.6kbs !!!!!
James
Grafter

Hi there,
I appreciate that your connection is dropping and am very sorry for that.
Is it possible for you to change your microfilters, ensure that you are connecting via your master socket and use a friends modem of possible?
Also, you will need to complete the Broadband Fault Checker, if it doesn't get completed, the fault get closed within 48 hours.
Let us know and we should be able to help further.
Not applicable

I've just been through the fault checker, and at no time did it ask me where I bought my equipment from.
How does one get it to ask such a question?
blahblah
Grafter

While I appreciate your suggestions, maybe I have not made myself clear:
- I have checked EVERYTHING here
- I have unplugged the two other phones connected to my line
- I have reconnected each phone in turn
- I have swapped over microfilters, in turn
- I have rebooted my router each time
- I HAVE completed your fault checker (see first post) and YOUR fault checker has already closed the report and tagged it as "closed"
- I consider it highly unlikely that my router is faulty and more likely it is the line and/or your gateway servers.
I don't see what else I, as a customer, can do but I'm open to suggestions. No, I don't have a spare router at hand.
James
Grafter

Thanks for getting back to me.
You're actually on our Tiscali LLU service, which is good in a way because we have greater control over your profiling than we would on a normal BT circuit.
What I've done initially is to assign you to a high SNR 1Mbps profile.  Can you let me know if your connection continues to drop?  This isn't a permanant change, just part of the troubleshooting processes.
blahblah
Grafter

Thanks. I have just tried another microfilter here and reconnected. I guess your change is what gives me 1152Kb/256Kb? Will monitor and reply back soon.
blahblah
Grafter

Already feels more consistent. To double check I am going to replace the original microfilter and reconnect.
James
Grafter

Great!
I can bump it up 2Mbps if you would like.  It's a case of finding the optimal profile for your connection.
blahblah
Grafter

All phones now plugged back in. Speed check shows I am still getting a consistent ~1000kbps.
Yes please, bump it up to 2M and I will monitor (after I watch Broon getting slated at PMQ 🙂
Re "optimal profile": does this suggest a speed lower than the 4M I have got in the past?