cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faster in the test socket - so now what....

HHDS

Faster in the test socket - so now what....

I've been with Plusnet for several years now and had a really good speed. However in the last few months it's been dropping out and really slow.  I blamed child for internet gaming but not sure it is...  I work from home and am totally reliant on the internet and so can't afford for it to mess about. 
It was at 1 something last week and now I've put the cable into test socket and it seems better - around 7 using broadbandspeedchecker - not done the BT one as I don't know where ethernet cables are... 
However, if it's better using a test socket.  Does it mean there's a problem with the BT box? (it's the old one with the old man with a spear or something as a the logo) so is pretty old. 
I haven't changed the filters as no idea where the second filter is (had to look up to find out what a filter was).
I've tried calling but can't face the 20 minute wait even if it is an 0800 number.  The email posting takes too long to resolve and so I'm turning to anyone who might tell me now what to do as I'm guessing there the test socket is supposed to be used as just that......
Thanks all
PS:  I did try reading the 'read this first' but whilst I'm sure that it's got lots of good information my eyes won't take that amount of text on screen.  Feeling stupid and incredibly grumpy.
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Faster in the test socket - so now what....

So when you unscrewed the MASTER SOCKET and took the faceplate off, to get to the TEST SOCKET inside, were there any wires attached to the removable faceplate ?
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Ok, let's keep this simple. First question to ask is: Is there anything connected at the back of the socket you removed to get to the test socket?
If there is something then that might be where the slow problem is coming from. On the other hand if there's nothing there then the actual cover socket is either faulty or simply the connectors are dirty.
Oh and to just mention that there's nothing wrong with being permanently connected to the test socket. I believe a few here are doing this, so must be fine.
Edit: Odd, while I was writing purleigh's post never showed up after preview. It said there was a new post but nothing appeared, like it normally does. How strange. Oh well, somewhat duplicating what was said already.
That's RPM to you!!
HHDS

Hello both
Thank you both for coming back to me.  I like the keeping it simple - I'm not a fool but my head is full enough of deadlines and 'stuff' to take on too much more.
So, in answer to the question about faceplates...
Yes, on the faceplate there are three wires feeding from plastic covered ends to the fixed plastic bits on the actual reverse of the hard plastic front.  They are red, orange/yellow and white.  They all seem to be quite secure.
Good to know its ok to use test socket.  Am guessing I could always try to find a faceplate with two holes in it. 
Thanks
H
Anonymous
Not applicable

Those wires will go off to extension phone sockets around your house.
From what you have described, your issue is either a problem somewhere with the extension wiring, or a problem with something plugged into an extension phone socket.
By removing the faceplate, you have isolated the extension wiring from the incoming phone/broadband connection.
You will get the best performance by keeping your modem plugged into the TEST SOCKET, so keep it there if that isn't causing you any other problems - like having no telephones working on extension sockets !.
picbits
Rising Star

As above - you could always just remove those three wires from the plate and isolate your extensions that way.
However, I'd have a quick look around and make sure there is nothing plugged into any extensions (Sky box ?) that don't have their own microfilter - this will cause big issues.
Some Sky boxes even required two filters in series with each other to stop the interference with the broadband.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: HHDS
Am guessing I could always try to find a faceplate with two holes in it. 

The faceplate I use and recommend is this - http://www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php
HHDS

As my 10 year old would say - Legend!  Thank you so much for your feedback.
So, firstly for the quick solution - there appear to be no problems with the phone so I will look at getting a new faceplate and use the test socket - thank you  Purleigh for the suggestion.
My question is that as I don't have Sky and only have the 2 phones and a tv with built freeview .  The wii is wireless.  My main telephone fits into the same dual socket thing as the router cable and then then go through the box/filter to the socket.  My second phone is an extension with no connection to the phone.  Am I right in thinking then that there might be something wrong there?  It's a bit odd as it worked brilliantly for years and its only in the last few months it's got increasingly worse. 
Thanks all for the really useful help 
HHDS

Question for Purleigh if you're still out there.... I looked at the faceplate you recommended - would I have to free the three wires and fix them to the new faceplate?  I know it will come with instructions and I've wired many a plug in my time but was just wondering...
picbits
Rising Star

If your second phone is plugged into an extension phone socket then it will need a microfilter. If it's the cordless type where both phones operate from one base station (i.e. there is only one physical phone device plugged into the telephone socket) then it won't be that.
However, any telephone, modem, fax or other device that plugs into a telephone socket in the house should have a microfilter attached to stop it interfering with the ADSL.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: HHDS
Question for Purleigh if you're still out there.... I looked at the faceplate you recommended - would I have to free the three wires and fix them to the new faceplate?  I know it will come with instructions and I've wired many a plug in my time but was just wondering...

Here are the instructions - http://www.adslnation.com/downloads/docs/XTE-2005_Guide.pdf
If you want to keep your extension wiring, then yes you gently pull the existing extension wires from the BT faceplate, but you only need to reconnect two wires ("A" and "B") to the new filtered faceplate.
If you are rewiring, you might want to consider getting a "Krone" punch like this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Krone-Punch-Telephone-Insertion-Mounting/dp/B009CVXZCI/ref=sr_1_4?s=electron..., or this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Network-Telephone-Socket-Insertion-Tool/dp/B000Q8FKHE/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers...,  although it is perfectly possible to carefully do it with pliers.
Wink
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

or get a cheap disposable one when you buy the faceplate - always useful to have http://www.tandyonline.co.uk/xte-2005-master-faceplate.html
HHDS

Big thanks to all you lovely people who've been so willing to help - and so helpful.
Think I'm now sorted so all is good - going shopping with a broadband connection that seems to work.
Helen
Smiley
Anonymous
Not applicable

Let us know how it goes !  Smiley
Cool