cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faster Profile Please

clarepennyazale

Faster Profile Please

I wrote to you a few weeks ago, asking for a change to a faster profile, and you were kind enough to oblige, with the result that my speed increased from 1.2Mbps to 1.72Mbps - the fastest I'd ever had on this line.  Sadly, over at least the last four days, the speed has now dropped to .9.  Today my router reports:
Adsl 2+
Up 444937
Down 952888
SNR 6
Loop att 70
I'm guessing that the DLM may have switched me back to the slower profile.  Please could I have the faster one again?  I am much more interested in speed than stability.
With many thanks
10 REPLIES 10
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Faster Profile Please

The bad news is that your sync speed of 953 kbps with a noise margin of 6dB is probably the best you are going to get and it is possible that the weather has played a part in reducing the speed.
Do you have a modern master socket with a test socket behind the lower removable part.
If so could you plug the router into this test socket and report the stats again
clarepennyazale

Thank you for replying so quickly.  It is, of course, possible that the weather is affecting my connection.  However, we have had fine weather over the last four - seven days.  The previous responder to my request switched me to a faster profile (3-6 db), which initially increased my speed from 1.2 to 1.5, then to 1.7Mbps.  This may not sound much to you, but I share this connection with three teenagers, so any increase in speed is worth having.  I am much more interested in speed than stability.
As I explained before, I have a Draytek 2710n router, with up to date firmware.  It is plugged into the test socket, and has been since I joined Plus Net a few months ago.  My previous provider (TalkTalk) switched off the DLM on my line, and put me on the 0-3 db profile, which my router handled without difficulty.  As I have achieved 1.7 already, I don't think that .9 is the maximum I'm likely to get. 
Current stats from the router are:
Up 444937
Down 952888
SNR 6
Loop Att 70
Please help!!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

As a moderator - not staff - I have no access to your previous requests
I suspect the problem is that although Plusnet can put you on a 3dB default noise margin I don't think it can be locked and - with the slightest provocation - the automatic system in the exchange will increase it to 6dB
I will leave this now for staff to pick up
Edit - spotted your previous thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,116793.msg
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Looks like we picked up a slow sync rate at the start of the month, probably a few drops as well. Those have caused your line to be banded, though as you're not in sync at the top of the banding that's not an issue at present.
Basically I'd recommend raising a fault - there have been one or two drops which would hint at some trouble on the line somewhere. You can raise that at http://faults.plus.net
clarepennyazale

Directly after reading your reply, I saw several BT vans in our road.  Subsequently the speeds have increased, so I am guessing that there was a fault as you suggested, and that it has now been fixed.  Today my router reports:
Up 443928
Down 1207783
SNR 6
Loop Att 65
Would it be OK if you swapped me back to the higher speed profile now please? 
Many thanks
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Just had a look and the profile is still at 951 on BTs side I'm afraid, so upping the speed on our side wouldn't improve anything. If you disconnect via the router's web page then power it off for a few mins then back on, does it connect at a higher sync rate? That should speed the profile update along if so, and if not we could always reset the SNR and let the line retrain if you wish?
clarepennyazale

I have re-sync my router and my stats are now:
Up 443928
Down 1304000
SNR 6
Loop Att 69
ADSL 2+
I would be delighted if you could also reset the SNR (I may be misunderstanding exactly how it works) to a lower band.
Many thanks
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Well, as things stand you're on fastpath (no interleaving) with a 6dB target margin and the banding has been removed. Additionally your profile is at 1000 I believe, and the sync rate recorded on BTs side for that profile was 1207 so not far off where you are now. I could still reset the SNR for you if you want, but I'm not sure it'd offer much improvement on top of where your line is now - though chances are if we leave things your profile will uplift if your sync rate does again.
Please let us know if you'd like to go ahead with the reset and we'll get on it for you.
clarepennyazale

Yes please reset the SNR.
With grateful thanks.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Just put that through for you, hope it improves things Smiley