Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faster Broadband in my Area

chris2005
Grafter

Faster Broadband in my Area

Hi All
Please can you tell me will quicker broadband be available soon in my area as I have just started my own online business.
My Father is on the same phone line line and he is registered with BT as a business and his available speed is now 6.2mb from 1.5mb and was wondering if this will soon be available for me also.

Many Thanks
Chris
11 REPLIES 11
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Faster Broadband in my Area

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.Telephone?URL=&SP_NAME=a%20service%20provider&VERSION=... will tell you what is available now and in the short term. Post the results and we'll help you to interpret them.
Don't forget that your distance from the exchange is the most significant factor determining the speeds you can get until such time as fibre becomes available.
Also if you post the output from the diagnostic test at http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ we'll be able to advise further.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
There's no sign of either 21CN or fibre being available any time soon I'm afraid. However I have noticed that FTTC (fibre to the cabinet) is available to some areas that are served by the same exchange so you might want to keep checking here every now and again: http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
chris2005
Grafter

Hi
I have entered my details into the checker and it has come back with this.
Further more your exchange has been enabled for multicast services on fibre lines , please contact your provider for more details.
Regards
Chris
jelv
Seasoned Hero

That's not the bit we need - it's irrelevant to Plusnet users (and anyway doesn't give faster speeds for general internet use).
The bit we need will be about ADSL Max. Mine reads
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 8Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 7Mbps and 8Mbps.

And there may be something about ADSL2+ - but from Adam's response I don't think there will be. Mine says
Your exchange is planned to have ADSL2+ by 31st March 2013. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 8Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 5.5Mbps and 12.5Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1Mbps and downstream line speed of 8Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 5.5Mbps and 12.5Mbps.

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: Broadband
Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.
Additionally, your line may be able to support an estimated ADSL speed between 1 to 2 Mbps using Broadband Enabling Technology. A solution created specifically for communities who have very long telephone lines. If you decide to place an order, an appointment might be required where an engineer may need to visit your premises who will, where possible, supply the service.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 1Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 750Kbps and 2.5Mbps.

Not looking great unfortunately 😕
jelv
Seasoned Hero

There's something very seriously wrong with that. If the line is suitable for a fixed speed 2Mbps the estimate for ADSL Max ought to be far better!
As I've been house hunting I've used the checker on loads of post codes and telephone numbers, if you can get fixed 2Mbps the ADSL Max minimum is usually above 4Mbps and I've never seen it below 3Mbps.
Edit: Does the estimate take in to account the current performance if there is already broadband on the line?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'd expect the estimate for ADSL Max to be higher than that if there's a fixed 2Mb connection available. Fixed 2Mb connections were only offered if the attenuation was under 42db (thanks Jelv), so you can see from that what kind of speeds could be expected.

Edit: Does the estimate take in to account the current performance if there is already broadband on the line?

Unsure, will try and find out.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I think this may have to be treated as a fault. We need to know the stats for your line particularly the attenuation (this is reported by the router).
When you say your father is on the same line, do you mean you have two telephone lines coming in off a single cable?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've just performed a quick line check and your profile is currently at 3500 with the sync rate around 4128. That's around what I'd expect for your attenuation of 50.5db.
What speeds are you currently getting when performing speedtests?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
chris2005
Grafter

Hi
My fathers telephone cable on the poles passes my home which I am also connected to, My father is 3.3 miles from the exchange and I am 2.7 miles away, so I am closer to the cabinet than my father ( my father is getting his fibre optic router installed tomorrow which will give him estimated speeds of 6.2mb.
Bt have installed 2 new cabinets at the location where the main telephone cable goes to but cant understand why one phone line is ready for optic fibre router and the other isnt.
Download speed: 3.3Mb/s Upload speed: 0.28Mb/s IP: xxxxx.xx.xx ISP: PlusNet Technologies Ltd    ( download is normally 2.8MB)

System Up Time 286:15:26
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 14411 17258 0 2868 18474 00:15:18
LAN 10M/100M 2271719 2132656 0 1187 498 286:15:22
WLAN 11M/54M 4181399 2413133 0 1312 194 286:15:11
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 4128 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 50 db 13 db
Noise Margin 3 db 15 db

Regards
Chris
chris2005
Grafter

BT called at my dads house yesterday to fit his optic fibre broadband but were unable to fit the router as the address is to far from the exchange.
It says on the broadband checker and on the plusnet site that 6.2mb optic fibre is available but there must be some mistake.
Regards
Chris