cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fast fibre slow wi fi

wjclarke98
Dabbler

Fast fibre slow wi fi

I have the new super fast fibre installed. Any device linked by Ethernet cable to my PC linked to fibre works fast without any problems. I still experience slow speeds on devices connected by wi fi. I was expecting faster wi fi after the fibre was installed.  Am I expecting too much
6 REPLIES 6
itsme
Grafter

Re: Fast fibre slow wi fi

Yes
I would say the rule of thumb is you will see only 30% of the headline speed. So for G this will be 17mbps. This is because they add the downstream and upstream speeds together to get the headline speed of 54mbps and then with overheads this is will reduce the speed further. The speed will be further reduced depending on the signal strength of the Wi-Fi
wjclarke98
Dabbler

If I could increase the signal strength of my wi fi I might increase the speed of my devices and possibly extend the range of my wi fi to areas of my house that contains dead spots e.g. The conservatory.
I have a Netgear N150 router supplied by Plusnet. I am happy to throw some money at the problem in the hope of resolving it once and for all.  Can you recommend a router that might do the trick.
Thanks
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi wjclarke98,
Have you thought about using powerline adapters?
Jojo Smiley
wjclarke98
Dabbler

Thanks for the suggestion re Powerlines. The main reason I want a stronger wi fi signal is so I can use my IPad anywhere in the house. At the moment I get a poor or non existent signal in my dining room and conservatory. Any suggestions for an improved and extended signal would be appreciated.
AxeMurderer
Grafter

Get a router with better wireless performance. My Billion will connect at 300Mb/s at 12m range, not quite line of sight, and actually transfer at at least 50Mb/s. It will also connect to upstairs, similar range, but through a solid brick wall at an unknown rate but at least fast enough to run iPlayer HD without pause or stuttering. Not cheap though. Other fast routers exist.
matt_2k34
Grafter

+1 for the 7800N.
Fantastic router, not cheap but rock solid.
Regards