cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fast Forward going nowhere!

Pancho
Grafter

Fast Forward going nowhere!

I have installed the recomended Fast Forward program (Spam) on two machines; both using XP + SP2 and updates, one with Outlook 2007 and the other with Outlook 2003. I get the icon on the desktop but clicking on it does nothing. One machine did generate the 'needs to close and send message to MS' but the other computer does nothing. Something about Dr Watson does appear as if something has happened but no sign of the Wizard. Am I alone, as usual, with this problem?
35 REPLIES 35
Pancho
Grafter

Fast Forward program as mentioned by Plus to advise of Spam

Thought I would be helpful and send my spam back to Plus but, not only does this program not run, I now find it contains a serious piece of Spyware as found by Zone Alarm Pro.
File: C:\Program Files\FastForward\mapiprop.dll
GUID: {5883CA7C-B619-45C9-8E5D-DD6F7EA91785}
RegistryKey: contains 'Power Spy'.
Is it just me once again?
chillypenguin
Grafter

Re: Fast Forward going nowhere!

Moderators Note
Please do not spam the forums, with multiply threads on the same subject.
Jonathan
aka Chilly
thehatman
Grafter

I was one of the people keen to use Fast Forward and who tested the various versions. 
There is no spyware in it and it works perfectly as of version 1.1.6.
My guess is that you've discovered an item of spyware that is nothing to do with Fast Forward but was somehow drawn to your attention by the instalation of Fast Forward.
mapiprop.dll is a legitimate Outlook file.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The dll is something that could be used in many different applications - some of which could be spyware. I suspect that ZoneAlarm is getting rather excited at finding this dll and reporting it as spyware without checking if the application using it is actually spyware.
It's a false alarm from ZoneAlarm.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Pancho
Grafter

I download the zip file to my desktop - extract the exe file to my desktop and run it. Program installs. I click on the icon and up comes the 'Send Error report' Box. Spam filter trainer for Outlook Express, Outlook, Eudor has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience. How other people get it to run I have no idea. I have Zone Alarm Pro and AVG Free. Shutting down Zone Alarm Pro makes no difference. Shutting down AVG makes no difference. Any thoughts on this please? I agree about the dll file being OK as I ran the Sy Check again and nothing came up; the file was still there.
thehatman
Grafter

You could try going here:
http://www.routertech.org/viewforum.php?f=5
... and asking.  Neo on that board is the person who made FastForward.
I honestly find it works perfectly, so I hope he can fix it for you.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

It's worth bearing in mind that there's a strong possibility that we'll be ditching Dspam very soon and instead relying on Postini to do the subject line tagging for us. We'll probably set up some addresses so you can report false positives/negatives still but it would make sense for us to change the addresses to save confusion.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

thehatman
Grafter

What are the Postini SPAM/NOT SPAM forwarding addresses?
Then we can get the maker of Fast Forward to put those in it instead of the DSPAM ones.  (This info is encrypted in FF so we need to ask the RouterTech bloke, the author of Fast Forward, to put them in).
Neo
Grafter

Re: Fast Forward program as mentioned by Plus to advise of Spam

Quote from: Pancho
Thought I would be helpful and send my spam back to Plus but, not only does this program not run, I now find it contains a serious piece of Spyware as found by Zone Alarm Pro.
File: C:\Program Files\FastForward\mapiprop.dll
GUID: {5883CA7C-B619-45C9-8E5D-DD6F7EA91785}
RegistryKey: contains 'Power Spy'.
Is it just me once again?

I'd like to allay any fears that FastForward contains any malicious or spyware. I can say, categorically, that it does NOT contain any malware, spyware, trojans or viruses.
The mapiprop.dll was created by MAPIlab and is used by FastForward to communicate with Microsoft Outlook. See http://www.mapilab.com/dev/mapiprop for details.
Also, I would like to ask anyone having problems with FFW to:
1) read all the documentation
2) if a problem persists, please contact me via my website at www.neolics.com or via the forum at RouterTech.Org.
Unfortunately, I do not have the time to monitor the PlusNet community forum on a regular basis.
thehatman
Grafter

Bob, can we have the new SPAM / NOT SPAM addresses?
thehatman
Grafter

I know, but please keep this thread in mind when you do.  Smiley
Any chance of changing the title of this thread.  "Fast Forward Info" or something?
thehatman
Grafter

The Order of Preachers?
chillypenguin
Grafter

mod:note
In general as moderators we not happy with the idea of renaming topics.
Its unfriendly towards the original poster when a moderator decides that they need some help on saying what they want to say. And we are not here to put words into peoples mouths.
Jonathan
aka Chilly
Pancho
Grafter

At the risk of being a pain after a few days of the program not running - see previous posting - Zone Alarm Pro has now declared that there is 'Power Spy', which is Medium Risk, in mapiprop.dll. I don't know why I have these problems but the best I can do is forget about it and remove the program.
I might also mention the junk mail that is getting through has the correct alias but with something else in the front of it. It is quite easy to pick it out with Magic Mail so I do not download it; just delete from server.
My first contact with computers was a 6ft rack: DEC PDP11. It had a reel of 1" tape for the program and you booted it by setting switches and pushing buttons.