cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fantastic fibre

woodey

Fantastic fibre

I upgraded to fibre because my download and upload speeds were going to dramatically increase.
So I signed up for unlimited fibre up to 76mb. Well what I got is 18mb download max  why? because BT tell me although I'm on fibre my distance from the fibre break out box using copper drops it down to 18mb.  Which is double the speed I originally had on all copper but costing me a lot more not impressed.
I think fibre adverts should state that although fibre is wonderful it swaps over to copper along the line  and can drastically effect  your speeds. Angry
Roll on fibre to the home!
3 REPLIES 3
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Fantastic fibre

Fibre to the home (FTTP) is already being rolled out - it is well worth keeping an eye open for it in your area.
What was your download speed before you moved to FTTC ? I struggled along with a 4 to 5Mb connection until FTTC came available in our area. I would say that 18-20Mb would be a comfortable speed for every day home use with anything more being a bonus.
Still a bit of a bummer expecting more and getting less though Sad
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

You should have been able to get an estimate of what your speed would be when you signed up, was this wildly different to what you are seeing?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi woodey,
Welcome to our community forums.
I've checked over your connection and can see that we have explored many avenues to get yo a higher speed, it does seem that you're currently at your lines limit
I notice that when you signed up for fibre in May you were provided with a speed estimate of 22Mb/s, I know you're not at this speed but you're not a million miles away.
Fingers crossed for FTTP for you.