cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

False hope

amcclean
Rising Star

False hope

I migrated to 21cn this evening and then took a check at the highspeed broadband page to read the following esp. the last line!
Telephone number:
    01++++++++++
Phone exchange:
    ++++++++++++++++++++
Estimated line speed:
    4Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2010-04-23 16:07:06
Current line speed:
    21 Mb

I thought i was on to a winner and that my line was being restricted somehow by PN to 4mb so I called in the belief that they could just flick a switch and reset my profile to let me use the FULL 21Mb.
Then the hope was dashed all new 21cn lines are set at 21Mb and the figure will slowly drop during the training period.
The page says: What does "Current line speed" mean?
The speed shown above is based on your sync speed. This is always a little higher than the speed at which data will actually be downloaded over your broadband connection.
have asked the CS agent to pass on a request for a better explanation of the 21Mb figure so that other people like me do not get their hopes shot down.
I guess the saying "If it looks to good be true........" springs to mind.
podman.

3 REPLIES 3
linux
Grafter

Re: False hope

As discussed in another thread (here), the "Estimated line speed" is not accurate. Best to ignore it.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

21Mb is the maximum speed for 21CN. I think what has happened is that until Plusnet get a delta report from BT telling them what your IP Profile is, they set the current line speed to the maximum.
Run a BT speed test to find out what you are really getting.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
amcclean
Rising Star

Didn't see the other thread. It is a bit confusing to put it on the page witout any (n.b.... or * remarks)
podman