cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Falling sync speed

Pheasantplucker
Grafter

Falling sync speed

Has anyone else had this problem and if so, can you help?
Up until a few weeks ago my sync speed used to be around 4500 but over time it has dropped to about 2700. I used to be able to bring it up again by re starting the system ( re booting the router) bu now even this does not help.
I have not changed, added or taken anything away etc so it cannot be anything that i have done.
If anyone has any ideas what the cause may be and any possible remedies i would be very grateful.
Richard
24 REPLIES 24
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Falling sync speed

From what you have said, am I correct in assuming that you leave your router on 24/7? In which case you may be dropping sync as a result of noise on the line. Can you post you router ADSL stats.
Pheasantplucker
Grafter

You are correct. I do leave it on 24/7. Router stats are Incoming: 2848 kbps
• Outgoing: 448 kbps  giving me a profile of 2000kbps. This used to be between 4 and 5mbps bust usually settling down at 3500kbps
Pheasantplucker
Grafter

More router stats......
DSL Line (Wire Pair): Line 1 (inner pair)
Protocol: G.DMT Annex A
Downstream Rate: 2848 kbps 
Upstream Rate: 448 kbps 
Channel: Interleaved
Current Noise Margin: 15.0 dB (Downstream), 18.0 db (Upstream)
Current Attenuation: 44.8 dB (Downstream), 24.5 db (Upstream)
Current Output Power: 19.8 dB (Downstream), 12.2 db (Upstream)
DSLAM Vendor Information: Country: {0xB5} Vendor: {TSTC} Specific: {0x00}
PVC Info: 0/38
These stats are the same as before the problems started
Hopefully this may help in diagnosing the problem
Richard
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

The stats can't be the same! You and the stats say you are syncing at 2848, whereas previously you say you were at around 4500. Your target noise margin  seems as though it might be 15dB, and if it were previously lower that will account for your drop in sync speed. Try a reboot right now and lets see what the stats are immediately after a reboot (unless you just rebooted of course!).
If the stats are pretty much the same, then you've had some issues causing you to drop sync and re-sync frequently. Start by having a check to see if you can hear any noise on your phone line. Any crackling or other intermitent noises that you can hear or have heard recently?
Pheasantplucker
Grafter

Noise margin and attenuation are the same as before problems started. have tried a re boot this morning and cannot get sync speed to go up . No noticable noise on phone line etc.
I just cannot make this out but something somewhere must have changed to make this happen.
Don't you just hate it when something like this happens for no obvious cause. I just hope that someone can help otherwise i'll be stuck with a lower speed and have to "put up with it"
Richard
James
Grafter

Hi Richard,
Has your noise margin always been that high?  It does seem rather high if you were previous receiving a faster speed.  My initial assumption would have been that it had increased.
Can you please ensure that you are connecting directly to your master socket via a filter (test socket behind the master faceplate is best if possible) and try using a different microfilter.
That may help improve the quality of the signal a touch.
Pheasantplucker
Grafter

Yup, the noise margin has always been this high, probably because i'm a fair way from the exchange.
No need for filters etc as i have one of the new BT faceplates that has 2 sockets, one for the phone and the other for broadband.
Ha, so thats a couple more ideas out the window...........................unlkess i could talk PN into lowering the noise margin and seeing what happens then.........
James
Grafter

You're welcome to raise a speed fault via http://faults.plus.net asking us to ask BT to lower your target noise margin Smiley
Any chance of trying to borrow a router from a friend to see if you get the same noise margin / speed on the line?
Pheasantplucker
Grafter

hi again,
I have another router, same make/model. I have already tried using it but the figures still come out the same.
If i try to raise a speed fault i go through all the checks and then it tells me that everything is alright. Can you tell me if i can bypass this and just ask PN to ask BT to lower  the noise margin?Huh
Regards
Richard
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

James,
I was under the impression that raising a speed fault wasn't necessary to get the noise margin lowered given that a speed fault requires 3 BT speed tests which are a waste of time
James
Grafter

In which case, simply raising a ticket is perfectly ample Smiley
Pheasantplucker
Grafter

Ok so can you now tell me how to raise a ticket without having to go through the broadband fault checker?????  I can't find any way aroung it
Richard
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Pheasantplucker
Grafter

Thanks Jim.
have now sent request to PN to see if they can get the noise margin lowered.
Regards
Richard