cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed Fibre Install

cybuerke
Dabbler

Failed Fibre Install

Was due to be converted to FTTC today.  OR engineer has fitted new back box and faceplate, but the because of the noise on the line, was unable to sync, so he went back to the cab to reconnect to ADSL and has raised a line fault report.
The engineer assured me that PlusNet would be informed by OR that the installation had failed, but we all know about left hands and right hands, so I thought it best to report it myself.
If anyone at PN wants to phone me - please don't, because the line sounds like it's undergoing surgery by chainsaw.  Strange that.  Over thirty years at this address and never experienced the problem before.
Broadband still up, albeit at just under 2Megs, although grateful for that...
12 REPLIES 12
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Failed Fibre Install

Sorry to hear about the issues with the install, I'll make sure this is chased up for you as it may mean that another engineer visit is needed.
If anyone at PN wants to phone me - please don't, because the line sounds like it's undergoing surgery by chainsaw.  Strange that.  Over thirty years at this address and never experienced the problem before.

Has that only just happened since the engineer appointment?
Adam
EDIT: Line tests have indicated an "earth" fault, that could well be related to the frames issue at the exchange but I feel it best to raise a separate fault about that issue anyway, I've opened a ticket on your account (62252132) so I'll keep you updated from there. Do you have a mobile number yo might want to add to your account? that way I could keep you up to speed via SMS or give you a call if it's urgent.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
cybuerke
Dabbler

@ Adam
Thanks for your reply and raising the ticket
. Has that only just happened since the engineer appointment?

It started an hour or so before the engineer first called me by phone to confirm his visit.
I've now included a mobile number on my account details. 
ADSL resynced overnight, and am now showing 3 Megs RX.  Wink
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Cheers and no problem.
Glad to hear your ADSL was reconnected at least.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
cybuerke
Dabbler

Ticket 62252132 updated by me Wed 28/11 but not yet responded to.
After several shots at fixing the noisy line, plus the repairs to the frame at the exchange, my phone and ADSL were stabilised in the evening of Wed 21/11.  An appointment was made for OR to reconnect FTTC on Monday 26/11, but I've heard nowt, and as I'm still connected to ADSL at a steady sync of  2.77Mbps down and .83 Mbps and up, I'm minded to settle for that - especially as reports from people local to me are not too encouraging about the stability of fibre connections on this long line.
I've suggested in my update that I now cancel the fibre order, and upgrade instead to the Extra tariff. 

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi there,
Adam is picking this up as I speak and he'll update you soon.
cybuerke
Dabbler

Thanks Chris.  No news up to yet, but it's hardly a matter of life or death.  Just so long as I know Plusnet Towers are on the case.
One point I should mention.  We've all heard about tight fisted Yorkshiremen, but they're as to nothing compared to a Kentish man who's been overcharged for his broadband connection.  I'm paying for it when I ain't got it.  And that's not good...
hymermanbill
Grafter

Quote from: cybuerke
Ticket 62252132 updated by me Wed 28/11 but not yet responded to.
After several shots at fixing the noisy line, plus the repairs to the frame at the exchange, my phone and ADSL were stabilised in the evening of Wed 21/11.  An appointment was made for OR to reconnect FTTC on Monday 26/11, but I've heard nowt, and as I'm still connected to ADSL at a steady sync of  2.77Mbps down and .83 Mbps and up, I'm minded to settle for that - especially as reports from people local to me are not too encouraging about the stability of fibre connections on this long line.
I've suggested in my update that I now cancel the fibre order, and upgrade instead to the Extra tariff. 

I used to be on a very long line, max sync speed was 1500k  attenuation 63db  continual dropping of the connection but since having fibre installed all that has disappeared steady 46mb connection and no dropped line in 5 weeks. We are about 700m from the cabinet now and that is what matters for fibre, not the distance from the exchange.
cybuerke
Dabbler

Quote from: hymermanbill
I used to be on a very long line, max sync speed was 1500k  attenuation 63db  continual dropping of the connection but since having fibre installed all that has disappeared steady 46mb connection and no dropped line in 5 weeks. We are about 700m from the cabinet now and that is what matters for fibre, not the distance from the exchange.

Appreciate your comment.  Unfortunately, my cab's in the local village, well over a click-and-a-bit distant, so although I'm probably closer to my exchange than you are to yours, I'm still left with a lorra lorra copper after the hook up.
PS  I've got the banjo, if you've got the guitar?
cybuerke
Dabbler

Quote from: chrispurvey
Hi there,
Adam is picking this up as I speak and he'll update you soon.

Quote from: cybuerke
Thanks Chris.  No news up to yet, but it's hardly a matter of life or death.  Just so long as I know Plusnet Towers are on the case.
One point I should mention.  We've all heard about tight fisted Yorkshiremen, but they're as to nothing compared to a Kentish man who's been overcharged for his broadband connection.  I'm paying for it when I ain't got it.  And that's not good...

Now then Plusnet, what's the score please?
In the absence of an indignant refusal on your part, may I now take it that my suggestion to cancel the fibre install and upgrade to ADSL Extra is an acceptable resolution of this problem?
I would accept the fibre option, but only if  a) Openreach can be bothered to do it and  b) I can receive a guaranteed stable connection at or reasonably close to your initial estimate of 10Mbps.
An early reply would be appreciated. (Plus a pro rata rebate for Value Fibre paid for and not delivered.)

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Sorry for the delayed response in general to this one, I've changed the account to extra for you and I'm about to check exactly what needs to be refunded (i.e the difference between ADSL and fibre subscription.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
cybuerke
Dabbler

Thanks for that.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No problem, that should all be sorted now.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team