cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed 582n Firmware Upgrade, stuck on PPPoA

maxm4xww
Grafter

Failed 582n Firmware Upgrade, stuck on PPPoA

This is all my own fault for messing around, but I was so fed up with the slow config pages I thought this may fis things.
I installed 10.2.9 or similar over 10.00.B or similar and the unit seems to have lost all PN config and is stuck on PPPoA.
Can someone email me the file or link to the correct firmware? I've downgraded to 8.4.4.J but still no PPPoE config so I'm worried I've broken it for good.
Worse case I need to get online ASAP tomorrow so may have to go to PC World to get a suitable VDSL? Router as my DG834G doesn't seem suitable.
Thanks in advance,
Max
20 REPLIES 20
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Failed 582n Firmware Upgrade, stuck on PPPoA

Are you on Fibre? You've got the ADSL firmware not the Fibre firmware.  I'll see if I can find the Fibre.
Anotherone
Champion

Don't know if this post will help you work round your problem http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,108247.msg926522.html#msg926522
Anotherone
Champion

maxm4xww
Grafter

I tried another bin file, but it seems to still be pppoa and version 2.9.
Downloaded 'R8CM0 DG FTTC' but I can't log in to my router throughh the update utility.
This is the worst router I have ever used, I'm going to have to go to PC world - will any cable router do the job?
maxm4xww
Grafter

Well I'm back with a Netgear WNR2200 and everything is working within minutes (including a one button auto firmware upgrade)
Page load times seem to be much much faster too.
I've never said a bad word about plus.net, but this router may make me think twice before referring anyone (especially to a fibre service, though I'm led to believe this is the ADSL modem too)
David_W
Rising Star

You flashed the wrong firmware to your router and it's somehow Plusnet's or the routers fault?  Crazy  Every time you flash a firmware update to any device you run the risk of bricking it (in other words, turning it into a large plastic brick) so firmware updates should only be done if you have an issue with the firmware in use and there is a fix available, even then you have to ensure that the update you are applying is the correct one.  If I were to flash my motherboards firmware (bios) with the incorrect version I'd be looking at buying a new motherboard, but that would be my fault and not the fault of Gigabyte or the Motherboard.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

will any cable router do the job?

Yes it should do, FYI but you'll probably already know that cable routers with a built in VDSL cable modem whilst being useful can be very expensive.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
maxm4xww
Grafter

The Netgear cost me £45.99, its not the best thing but I'm sure its better than the Technicolour.
I seriously cannot believe how much faster pages are loading, I'd been using Fibre for a week prior to these problems and its night and day. Using the TN router page loading seemed hardly any better than when I was on 3mb.
I appreciate it was my fault upgrading the firmware wrongly, but the config seemed so slow it didn't seem right to me so wanted to try something.
Anotherone
Champion

You shouldn't overlook the Network issues that have been plaguing Plusnet recently, this has affected quite a few Fibre customers, so it depends on the time of day that you are making the comparisons about page loading etc. That's not to say that there may not be an issue with your 582n. When you have time try to get it configured correctly and then do some more comparisons. Some advise from one of the experts on this beast may not go amiss either.
mattturner
Grafter

You can find all the firmware files here:
http://products.plus-payh.co.uk/firmware/
Good luck!
Anotherone
Champion

Thanks for that Matt, much appreciated.
wykehamhouse
Grafter

Quote from: Matt
http://products.plus-payh.co.uk/firmware/

It might be useful to add 10.2.2.B to that site so more people can get it and test it.
Edit: 10.2.2.B is on that site.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

How about also adding the utility to do the flashing and a PDF of the instructions?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Funnily enough I asked Matt maybe 15 minutes ago to add the flashing utility to that page. We don't have a pdf of the instructions, but I've just asked him to add a link to the library article describing how to do it - should be alright I hope?