Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP ?

jrice
Dabbler

FTTP ?

Good Morning,

If we have copper to the premises, (not via a green box) so can we get FTTP from Plusnet ?

We live across the road from the exchange, so do Plusnet offer FTTP ?

And if not can another phone line be added to give two sets of adsl bonded together for greater speed ?

Many thanks for your help and advice.

Jrice

8 REPLIES 8
Kdog
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: FTTP ?

Check your phone number on dslchecker.bt.com

If FTTP is available as a 1 or 2 stage install then it can be done. If it's on demand then no. At a guess I'd doubt it if FTTC isn't there bit worth a look.

As for binding 2 ADSL connection that wouldn't work to increase the speed. You'd have 2 completely separate connections. It would help if you have a lot of people using the net at the same time as you'd reduce the amount of traffic one line has to run alone but both would likely have very similar speeds.
jrice
Dabbler

Thanks Kdog! Smiley

I checked on the dslchecker, but I can't see where it says fttp availability.

results below.

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 22 -- 20.5 to 23.5 Available -- --  
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 22 Up to 1.5 20.5 to 23.5 Available -- --  
ADSL Max Up to 7.5 -- 6.5 to 8 Available -- --  
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- --  
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- --  

Other Offerings

Availability Date

ADSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- --  

Premise environment

Status

Bridge Tap U            
VRI --            
NTEFaceplate --            
Last Test Date 22-02-2017  

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

So you have answered your own question, FTTP is not available. In the majority of cases fibre does not come from your local exchange. In fact lines connected directly to the exchange are the most problematic and are the often the last in an area to get FTTC.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jrice
Dabbler

Thanks for Confirming.

So our only option is bonded adsl I guess,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wGJAby6dmM

Here is a guy bonding two lines together using a router to make a faster connection, is this not also possible for me ?

Kdog
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

So that dsl checker result does confirm no fibre.

Bonded ADSL isn't something I've heard of to be honest. It'd definately be beyond pnets support remit-they'd just supply the two lines but I guess with some clever internal networking and equipment it's probably doable. I'd assume you'd need both lines to be static ip too as you'd have to set some pretty advanced router rules up.

Gotta be honest I'm still not sure how that would work-I would have thought each line would run it's own requests and the downstream would return via the same address. Even with some advanced router tricks the data still comes to the property via the one requesting line so I'm still not sure that would actually increase the speed. More than open for an education on this though!
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there.

Unfortunately as you've found out, FTTP isn't available for you I'm afraid, and bonded ADSL isn't something we offer though I admit I've never heard of this.

If you would like to query fibre availability with Openreach, I'd fill out this form: https://www.formwize.com/run/survey3.cfm?idx=505d040e0b080d

Hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@jrice

Next thing to do is to check whether anything is planned for your location.

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/index.do

Also do web searches to see if there's any superfast broadband project covering your area.

Brian

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Bonded ADSL is certainly doable (or at least it was) REC-G.998.1

Way back in 2008 Plusnet and the Usergroup did get involved in a pilot evaluation that didn't turn into product.  Here is a link to an old thread  The technology largely got overtaken by the FTTC / FTTP product availability, so it is a niche market.  Google brings up a number of 'hits' if you want to check them out. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.