cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC without router

hangover
Grafter

FTTC without router

I'm due to be upgraded from ADSL2+ to FTTC tomorrow afternoon. However, my router hasn't arrived yet. I contacted Plusnet yesterday and they said it would be despatched today but would take 3-5 days to arrive (I don't know why they can't send it next-day delivery under the circumstances). In the meantime they've provided instructions on how to use the modem without a router.
Please can someone explain what is the difference between the modem (which I understand is provided by the BT engineer) and the router (which is provided by Plusnet). What will I be unable to do with the modem alone that I will be able to do once the router arrives? And are there likely to be any problems installing the router later, without the BT engineer present (in short, would I be better of postponing the appointment until the router arrives)?
Sorry if these are dumb questions - I haven't a clue about this stuff.
13 REPLIES 13
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: FTTC without router

The modem provides the connection, where as the router allows you to share it (via cables or wirelessly to other machines)
I'm sorry to see your order has been delayed but I can see that it should be dispatched today.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

As a matter of interest, when you send out instructions for connecting a PC directly to the modem do you stress that it is imperative that they are running a firewall?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

PS You may find this helpful: http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-how-to-set-up-a-pppoe-dialler-in-vistawindows...
PC directly to the modem do you stress that it is imperative that they are running a firewall?

Not sure off the top of my head, I'll look into that.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Ellis
Grafter

A modem doesn't usually have it's own firewall, where a router does.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Exactly! And even discounting the firewall the NAT translation you use as default with a router provides a level of security for the inexperienced user.
hangover
Grafter

Thanks all. I understand now, I think. So I'll be able to to connect to the web via my PC plugged directly into the modem, but I won't be able to use wi-fi until the router arrives. And presume when the router arrives I just plug it into the modem and that's it?
Incidentally, the instructions for connecting my PC directly to the modem made no mention of a firewall (but I have got one, in any case).
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

You'll receive some instructions with the router when that arrives. Re a firewall IMO as long as you have a software firewall installed on your machine you shouldn't have much to worry about.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Adam,
Do the instructions say you should be running a software firewall?
If not do they say turn the Plusnet firewall up to it's highest setting?
If they don't you are exposing your users to unnecessary risks!
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

As mentioned I'll look into it and get back to you, can't say fairer than that... I hear what your saying jelv but don't think its as big an issue as that.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
catshill
Grafter

I can confirm that the instructions make no mention of a firewall (see below for the instructions).
There is another thread on the subject of Plusnet not sending our routers here:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,99048.0.html
and
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,98928.0.html
spiderwheels
Dabbler

If the PC you connect to the modem has Wifi you might be able to use a program called Connectify (google for it) to turn your PC into a wireless router if you have wireless devices you'd like to connect. I used this to connect my phone.
I understand PN have had a supply issue but what is annoying is that they don't seem to send them out unless you ring up. I rang up on the day my engineer fitted the modem and one was dispatched immediately - so if it was in stock why wasn't it already on it's way?
hangover
Grafter

Well the good news is the router arrived today. The bad news is the engineer didn't - no phonecall, nothing, just didn't show up. My wife stayed in all afternoon waiting and, as you can imagine, is not best pleased. I've raised a ticket.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi hangover,
I'll see if I can get someone to get you an update on this.
Jojo Smiley