Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC with TG582n not fit for purpose

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: FTTC with TG582n not fit for purpose

Quote from: h4cked
firstly if you are a speed junkie then you need to remove the hop (thats having two boxes)

The difference between one box and two boxes where you've replaced the router with a good router will be negligible! In fact if you do a lot of transfers between devices on your LAN two boxes might be better!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Quote from: h4cked
costs us 4.99 to buy?

No it costs us £44.99, the £40 is "deferred" over 12 months.
port serving you is 100mps half duplex so you will only get 50mb wired (you need 1gps hence a 2850n). i feel like we have a bunch of ferrari fans that have bought

Well it depends on what items you have plugged in.
My stats
Port Status
WAN 100M/Full
LAN1 1000M/Full
So the modem is connected at 100M FULL duplex and my router is connected to my switch at Gigabit Full Duplex
This is with a Netgear 3500.
IF we ever get over 80Mb on fttc then the MODEM will have to be replaced - but that is BT "property".
My router only handles Internet traffic, all my local traffic is handled by a switch. (OK it also handles wifi but that is mostly Internet as well)
So far I have a 6gb signal improvement from the supplied router to the Netgear, not tried any speed tests yet.
As to being "happy" with the resolution Chris, I have now raised a complaint ticket about this router.
inhost
Grafter

BT Home hub arrived today
With no changes at all to the environment I can now connect at around 280mbit over wireless.
My problem is solved, I have shown that the TG582n wireless is a pile of rubbish
Chris and the others at PN are just burring their heads in the sand, all I can do is suggest to everyone reading this you open an official complaint, it is the only way to get change.
Plusnet avoided the hard questions here well, they should really go in to politics, the fact remains that the best that they can come up with is saying we tested it it was fine, they cannot however back this up, the fact also remains that they are using implied advertising sadly the staff on this forum dont even seem to understand what that means so take form it what you will.
They wont fix this it will cost them to much... simplez!
inhost
Grafter

Just reporting 2 days on, no issues at all with the HH3 wireless.
TG582n wireless only throughput tested further outside of the house in an area that cannot even get mobile phone signals still unable to go any faster than 117 mbit (actually around 50mbit usable) and still flickers between rates every few seconds.
Grff
Grafter

I think I might invest in a HH3 too if they're much better in the wireless department.
inhost
Grafter

Good Plan,
I strongly suggest you open a complaint with plusnet, it helps them help us and they offered me £60 in compensation.
tstaddon
Rising Star

Totally agree with h4cked. A barebones router provided for a tenner is hardly likely to be "Rolls Royce".
My wise old dad used to say three things about hi-fi in the 1980s:
1. Go for seperates instead of an all-in-one. If nothing else, it does mean you don't lose your record player when your tape deck goes up in smoke.
2. If buying different components from different manufacturers, check they'll play together.
3. An expensive tape deck connected to cheap speakers won't sound half as good as a cheap tape deck connected to expensive speakers.
I tend to think the same rationale applies just as well to 21st century tech. He'd probably suggest:
1. Have more than one device if you're serious about LAN / WLAN performance, especially if you need your LAN/WLAN to survive a power surge frying your ADSL/FTTC router.
2. If you're going to have different kit from different vendors' kit, check the review sites and tech support forums, see if there are any known issues.
3. Never spend more on the wireless dongle than you spend on the router. If anything, buy cheap as chips dongles and spend a fortune on the router.
AndyH
Grafter

I am due to be on the 100/15 FTTP trial shortly and have been provided this router.
I questioned why, as the trial page states a Zyxel router, and was told today PN only provide the Technicolor router for trials now because "it's a better router". I am confused why a gigabyte router isn't provided.
Can this router handle 100mb down/15 mb up? I would have thought as its a 100mb router, it can not handle 100mb+15mb (115mb total line speed?).
How about the wireless? Can that handle the speeds?
HairyMcbiker
All Star

100Mb FULL Duplex means 100Mb up and 100Mb down, so in theory it can handle it. (On the Ethernet ports anyway)
Wifi doubt it very much as it has been shown that it can't even handle 80Mb
inhost
Grafter

Plusnet just closed the compliant, apparently Chris ignoring my questions was a valid resolution.
Classy way of working plusnet.!
inhost
Grafter

Quote from: tstaddon
Totally agree with h4cked. A barebones router provided for a tenner is hardly likely to be "Rolls Royce".

I completely disagree, no one ever said it was a rolls royce, however a dewoo martiz can still do 90MPH, i.e. can exceed that which is required of its primary function.
Your argument suggests you would buy a car and when it could only manage 40mph you would not complain instead you would simply say "Heh not like it is a rolls royce" 
inhost
Grafter

Nice.
Oh well I have been officially silenced:
"Please stop raising new tickets and replying to complaints. If you continue to do so, as due to your account being in deadlock, I will have to remove your ability to log in to the website if you continue to do so"
From the plusnet complaints manager.
This was in response to me making a complaint about his attitude towards this complaint... wonder why.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Well I also am unhappy with the complaints dept. Also the &(&)(&(*&%*&$£& ticket system, I presses the wrong button and presto complaint closed, no option to re-open it.
I think a REGISTERED letter to the MD is in the offing from me.
I would like to know where ANYWHERE I said I was happy with the solution offered to me.
BTW They are NOT offering any money to others.
davidcrocker
Dabbler

I find it amazing that some folks here choose a low-cost fibre service and expect that a router they pay £4.99 for will give them perfect high-speed wireless connectivity in any environment. Get over it. I suggest these people either buy their own router (and ask Plusnet to refund the £4.99 if you like), or switch to BT and suffer their higher prices and terrible customer support (I know all about this, I solve broadband issues for clients in my area).
One thing I do agree with is that Plusnet should make it clear out that some customers may need to use a different router to achieve full fibre speed over wireless, and perhaps offer a recommendation.
vultura
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: dc42
I find it amazing that some folks here choose a low-cost fibre service and expect that a router they pay £4.99 for will give them perfect high-speed wireless connectivity in any environment.
One thing I do agree with is that Plusnet should make it clear out that some customers may need to use a different router to achieve full fibre speed over wireless, and perhaps offer a recommendation.

The £4.99 is P&P charge.  You are not charged for the router unless you choose to leave Plusnet within 12months, in which case you are charged £40 for the router.
Even a basic service and supplied equpmet should do "what it says on the tin".
Yes, it should be made a whole lot clearer and I am sure Plusnet would gain more respect for doing so.
Has anyone seen my signature, it's gone missing.