Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC with TG582n not fit for purpose

mushy
Grafter

Re: FTTC with TG582n not fit for purpose

Quote from: CX
[You can use the BT/Huawei modem plugged into the WAN port (Ethernet port #4) on the Draytek. I don't think it matters if you use your own router, the problems occur when you use an alternative modem. From what I've read, the original Huawei modem may connect more faster and more stable than the Draytek's internal modem anyway.

Doesn't that defeat the object of replacing both boxes with just the one in the Draytek ?
CX
Grafter

It depends on why you are replacing it.
If it's because you're disappointed with the performance from the TG582n, then I'd say not. Sure you could go for a cheaper router but at least you know that the processor inside the Draytek can actually route the traffic at the speeds demanded by FTTC (or you may want some of its other features - QoS, load balancing, 3G failover etc).
If it's because you wanted to replace both boxes, then sure.
mushy
Grafter

Thanks CX
I supoose that puts a different perspective on it knowing wether you want to change it to just using one box for for the reason you mentioned but what advantage would you have by using the original OR supplied modem over the draytek apart from if there was any issues that need to be resolved in the event of a fault occuring ?
CX
Grafter

I suppose that you could use the Draytek's modem and swap the Openreach modem back in if you have problems.
I'm not sure where the official demarcation point is for FTTC installs. Logic suggests it's still at the NTE5 but I've read comments that BT consider the LAN side of their modem to be it with FTTC. I don't know which is true.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: mushy
Can you confirm the wether the HH3 is type A or B, either way I thought they was locked to BT and you couldn't change the username and passord

Home Hubs since (I think) version 2.0b are usable with all BT based services, so Plusnet connections are able to use them without any reflashing of firware, etc. I have used a 2.0b and am currently using a 3.0a with few problems.
The HH2 used to crash when viewing line stats, but not every time, and the HH3 locks up after several weeks on-line. I think the available memory for the event log fills up, and a restart of the router fixes it.
inhost
Grafter

While I understand buying a different router may work better that is not really the point of this post.
The point is that plusnet are supplying substandard equipment and they need to be held to account for that.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

The only way to holf Plusnet to account for supplying a cr*p router ( & I strongly agree that ist is cr*p) is to either take your custom elsewhere or sue them for breach of contract. Inform them of your intention to bill them for the time you have wasted trying to make things work & then pursue them through the small claims court. They may then take the easy way out & release you from your contract.
Good luck.  Cheesy
CX
Grafter

Is it really worth getting worked up over what is effectively a £4.99 router? You'd be locked into a contract with FTTC whether or not you wanted it (unlike with ADSL).
Put it back in its box and order your preferred router from elsewhere. Plusnet are not going to supply a Draytek, Bipac or other premium brand as a standard router because not only is it going to be totally over the top for the majority of their customers, but something like a Draytek would likely just confuse them. By all accounts the supplied router is perfectly adequate for most customer's needs (as with the TG585 supplied with ADSL before it), just not so much for power users.
Car analogies usually work with computers, so how's this - how many of you have bought a car and found the supplied radio to be pretty poor compared to what you could buy aftermarket? It does the job, it's standardised, just not the best out there.
Now, what I would like to see if the option of choosing a "premium" router when signing up, as with some other ISPs. I could see how it could create some issues with support, as the support agents would need training in the other models available, but no worse than when people are using any old router.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Interesting how much Plusnet charge for these routers if you cancel before 12 months is up considering this. Plusnet will be buying them for considerably less than that!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

The option of buying a premium router from Plusnet is not something I'd thought of but it does seem a potentially useful ides, the only porblem being which premium router should they choose and what feature set would suit the majority of power users (or should they offer a choice of several)?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
CX
Grafter

Indeed, and spending more money is no guarantee of getting good wireless performance. I used to have an Apple Airport Extreme in the house, and the wireless range from that was worse than anything else I'd ever used, even on the 2.4GHz band (but then Apple's designers probably decided that an ugly stick antenna just wouldn't do).
vultura
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: jelv
Interesting how much Plusnet charge for these routers if you cancel before 12 months is up considering this.

A little cheaper on Amazon.
Maybe PN could specify a premium model or two that they would be happy to offer "broadband issue" support on, then let the power users source them if needed.
Has anyone seen my signature, it's gone missing.
inhost
Grafter

The price and other products you could go out and buy are largely irrelevant here, the price is subsidised no doubt anyway based on the fact that you do actually need a router and you are on a 12 month contract much like mobile phone contracts.
The comparison to a car radio does not really cut it either as that is not a primary function of the car, a better way of putting this would be if you go out and buy a car even the cheapest new car you can find it must be able to achieve at least 70mph as its primary function is 'driving'
The primary function of the TG582n is to route the connection internally inside your home, it is not there to connect you to the internet as the BT box supplied does this and is fit for purpose i.e. it can handle the 80/20 speeds, the TG582n's only primary function is to connect your home devices, however it cannot do this at the level required it would be like buying a car that only manages around 30mph i.e. not fit for purpose.
I am still stunned that plusnet tried to use the 'it has the same chipset as the bt home hub' argument.... oh really then why is it so vastly inferior and what are you going to do about it?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Does the BT hub have an internal or an external aerial?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

All the BT routers have internal Antennas