HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: FTTC with TG582n not fit for purpose

Yes, not all of us live in large open spaces like a loft conversion  Wink
Graham21
Grafter

I no longer live in a Loft - sigh. Now live in a 130+ year old house with solid brick walls and that's just the internal ones ; )
I'm interested in performance in open spaces because if someone tells me that they are only getting 40M in the same room as the router, then I agree, something is wrong! It might be the router, it might be something else. PM me and I will send you a special returns bag that will ensure it comes to me and not the warehouse!
Happy to look at anything from anyone. PM me and let me know if you want it back or want a replacment.
I'm constantly looking at routers' wi-fi performance. If there is something out there that performs better, I'd like to hear about it. I have found that it is as good as or better than other 2.4Ghz band routers I've used in my house. The only thing I've found that's better so far is the Technicolor 589vn v3. It's an integrated fibre modem / router (no OR modem required) and has the more powerful BCM 63168 chip which has the Wi-Fi processing integrated. It seems to work better despite still being 2 x 2.
I even bought an N66U-AC recently. The coverage is slightly better, it's no faster though despite the external (and cool looking) antenna array. But it costs £150 and I had to buy an AC dongle because nothing I had can use AC (extra £55 for that).Honestly, I've gone back to the 589 vn v3.
I've got a couple of 589vn v3 going spare if anyone wants to try them out? PM me your address.
Graham

tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Thanks for the offer Graham, that's very generous & the results should be very interesting. However, I'll leave it to some of the really technical types on here to take up the offer. My network works fine for me. My download speed has gradually decreased to 38 Megs as my neighbours have joined me on fibre. However, the connection remains steady as a rock & as I'm not a gamer, whatever that is, my speeds are fine for my useage pattern.
I tremble at the thought of starting from scratch & reconnecting everything to a new network!  Undecided
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Wouldn't it be more useful to remotely login to one of the routers in the conditions its wifi is performing badly in, and extract as much info on the wifi conditions as possible?
inhost
Grafter

I offered to send the 2 back you sent me, you did not want them, I even offered to drive to your office with my equipment and the routers you sent me to demonstrate and you declined that too so please... do not try and spin this in a positive light.
And you have actually confirmed what plustnet have denied over and over again 60 - 80mbit in the same room is NOT fit for purpose, on wifi that gives you 30 - 40mbit actual throughput meaning if I bought your 80mbit service it will NEVER achieve this.
Thanks for contradicting everything plusnet have said previously it is about time someone confirmed that this router will never even meet the required speeds even in the same room.
james26
Grafter

Hi,
I would be happy to try the Technicolor 589vn v3 router if the offer is still open, the TG582n was totally rubbish Wi-Fi even within a few m's! Would you like the old back?
What i don't understand is why plusnet don't offer BT HomeHub with a nice plusnet logo on say for extra £35? Maybe the 589vn v3 will bring so happiness   
james.
Quote from: Graham21
I no longer live in a Loft - sigh. Now live in a 130+ year old house with solid brick walls and that's just the internal ones ; )
I'm interested in performance in open spaces because if someone tells me that they are only getting 40M in the same room as the router, then I agree, something is wrong! It might be the router, it might be something else. PM me and I will send you a special returns bag that will ensure it comes to me and not the warehouse!
Happy to look at anything from anyone. PM me and let me know if you want it back or want a replacment.
I'm constantly looking at routers' wi-fi performance. If there is something out there that performs better, I'd like to hear about it. I have found that it is as good as or better than other 2.4Ghz band routers I've used in my house. The only thing I've found that's better so far is the Technicolor 589vn v3. It's an integrated fibre modem / router (no OR modem required) and has the more powerful BCM 63168 chip which has the Wi-Fi processing integrated. It seems to work better despite still being 2 x 2.
I even bought an N66U-AC recently. The coverage is slightly better, it's no faster though despite the external (and cool looking) antenna array. But it costs £150 and I had to buy an AC dongle because nothing I had can use AC (extra £55 for that).Honestly, I've gone back to the 589 vn v3.
I've got a couple of 589vn v3 going spare if anyone wants to try them out? PM me your address.
Graham

deathtrap
Grafter

When i was with a previous ISP i tried the TG582N and the earlier model TG585v7 modem/routers And both where cr*p on ADSL sync rates where lower,compared to a netgear DG834v4, Also the lack of being able to configure the Thompson routers via the gui , and both didn't want to forward ports as they should, as for the wireless  performance, never even got as far as testing that,lol
But as i am a online gamer wireless  for my gaming box is a no no anyway , but there were quite a few unhappy bunnies who used the supplied (free) router , For my FTTC 80/20 use a Billion 7800 and it works how i would expect it to,
The reasons there are a lot of ISP's supplying this modem/router to customers is because they are very cheap for them to buy, and  technicolor aim their products at the ISP market, so they can be ISP branded, and things such as firmware updates( remote management) can be performed without the customer needing to do anything, An ISP doesn't have to supply a router, As for providing support for a router, most work in a similar way,(basic functions)
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I am willing to try the new router, 589n and compare it to my current Netgear.
And I am even willing to send back your 582 in exchange  Wink
PM me if you think I can get one.
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Quote from: Graham21

Would like to take you up on this if the offer is still open?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi all,
Graham's out of the office until next week and I'm not sure if he has any of these left but I'll make sure I check in with him when he's back.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
MysteryFCM
Grafter

cheers Adam Smiley
connorrickk
Dabbler

I'm also willing to try this out if there are any more?
Would love to get my hands one of these! Cheesy
Andrew
Pedro
Grafter

Oooh shiny!
If you're looking for ADSL testers count me in  Cheesy
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Me too  Grin