cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC with Pro Add-on - P2P throttling

geordiebelle
Dabbler

FTTC with Pro Add-on - P2P throttling

OK, I originally had Plusnet Fibre Extra but ended up upgrading to the 'Pro Add-on' due to the crazy traffic-shaping policy with the Extra package, particularly during evenings. Since then I had been pretty happy with the service up until the last couple of weeks where it now seems that P2P and Usenet are being throttled down to download speeds of around 10-15kB/s in the evenings (after 6pm?).
Can anyone have a look into this?
Thanks
15 REPLIES 15
StuartUK35
Grafter

Re: FTTC with Pro Add-on - P2P throttling

i'm finding this too.....
I pay for the PRO addon, but in terms of P2P (for midnight to 8am), i'm finding the speeds limited, although not as bad as yours......  i get a max of 2mb a sec (line speed 20mb) , where by in theory, i should get at least 30mb + (3mb a sec +).....
oh well, such is life hey !
geordiebelle
Dabbler

Oh they're only speeds I could dream of in the evenings. I must be getting even less than the 500kb/s you would get on the Extra package during the evenings. This shouldn't be happening and didn't up until the past few weeks.
Pro Add-on
                            1-7am 7am-12pm     12-6pm   6-8pm  8-10pm     10pm-1am
Peer to peer Line speed Line speed Line speed Line speed Line speed Line speed

My line speed is fine, although it does drop in evenings to around 25-28Mb which I can deal with, but the P2P speeds I cannot and the sole reason I upgraded to the Pro package was because of this.
Can any of the staff  help?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi geordiebelle,
I've made sure your traffic management profile is correct on your account. I'll be glad to to help you although I'll need as much info to go on as possible.
What are you downloading
Where are you downloading from
Is it torrents
what speeds do you get on other protocols
Have you got your connection limit set for upload/download.
Are you maxing out your upload (as this would severely affect your download)
These are just some of the questions I can think of now but I need as much information as you can provide.
Jojo Smiley
geordiebelle
Dabbler

Hi Jojo
Thanks for the reply.
I'm downloading from torrents and newsgroups.
Bandwidth download limits are set to unlimited and upload set to 10kB/s. I know torrents aren't the most reliable of measurements but it seems I'm having the same problem downloading from other protocols as well. For instance, I've just tried downloading several different files and the download speed doesn't go above 30kB/s, including drivers downloaded direct from the Nvidia website. In fact, it sits just below 30kB/s the entire time.
Tonight I also seem to be having trouble with streaming video and browsing is painfully slow. I have tested on several different PC's and I'm having exactly the same problems.
Line speed is again fine with BT speed test saying I'm getting 32mb and IP profile at 38.
Force9Original
Grafter

Maybe a wireshark capture could help narrow things down ?
( http://community.plus.net/library/faults/using-wireshark-for-data-capture/  ) (sorry if its sucking eggs ect)
Cheers f9o
geordiebelle
Dabbler

Angry
Not happy. Is it a coincidence that I cannot connect to online game servers and downloads from reputable websites will not connect or even start? It suggests that 'If I have a firewall, it could be blocking the connection'. I haven't changed anything and it's happening on both PC's.

Will try that now f9.
geordiebelle
Dabbler

Here's a good example...
While trying to download Wireshark to do the data capture, the download took around 5mins before it actually started (in terms of showing progress and a download speed), it downloaded 96kB before stopping. It is yet to restart...
UPDATE
I paused the torrent I was currently downloading(which was downloading at no more than 30kB/s!), and straight away the Wireshark download starts again (again at 30ish kB/s). Seems I have around 30-40kB/s bandwidth to work with..........?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi geordiebelle,
It might be worth connecting directly to the modem to rule out a router issue. You can find the instructions how to do that here for Windows7 and Vista and here for XP. Let us know how that goes.
Jojo Smiley
geordiebelle
Dabbler

Thanks, will try that tonight.
It's been fine during the day though which is strange.
geordiebelle
Dabbler

Just checked and I'm getting speeds up to 4MB/s now. Lets see what I get tonight after 6pm  Sad
geordiebelle
Dabbler

Same thing happening again after around 4pm today. 30kB/s downloads and can't connect to gaming servers.
Where do I get my broadband password from to manually connect? It's starred out on the connection details under My Account? I've never been sent one as far as I'm aware.
UPDATE
Since plugging directly into the modem (but I couldn't connect) so plugged back into the router again and reconnected, the speeds have jumped back up to what they should be again. Just a coincidence maybe or is it the router playing up?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Password is the same as the one you use to log in to the portal.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
WWWombat
Grafter

Quote from: geordiebelle
Since plugging directly into the modem (but I couldn't connect) so plugged back into the router again and reconnected, the speeds have jumped back up to what they should be again. Just a coincidence maybe or is it the router playing up?

Slowdowns from 4PM onwards look like congestion somewhere, caused by people arriving home. It is reminiscent of the old problem at an exchange, where BT ran out of capacity in the backhaul from the DSLAM. Obviously, things look different with FTTC, and I haven't (yet) seen any reports of congestion from individual cabinets. It's bound to happen eventually  Cry
The "somewhere" can be a number of other locations too - one of which is the Plusnet traffic management platform. Another is the pipe from BT back to Plusnet, which is chosen at the time your router connects (Plusnet have a whole variety of these pipes). If plusnet's pipes are unbalanced, you could have found yourself on one that is heavily loaded. The disconnection (when you tried plugging the computer into the modem) will have likely caused you to change pipe, in turn losing any congestion experienced (or, at any rate, *changing* the congestion level to something else).
If you encounter a slowdown again, you could deliberately try to disconnect/reconnect the router (via the admin GUI) so you force a switch of pipe.
You can find the pipe you are on at this page: http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway or by looking at the output of a traceroute command (tracert on windows).
Plusnet also used to graph the behaviour of their network & pipes on these pages: Broadband Usage Page and Packets drops per pipe but these haven't been correct for ages. A shame - it used to be useful information.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
geordiebelle
Dabbler

Well it's been nearly a week and I've had no problems since, so your explanation could well be correct!
Thanks for the help, WWWombat and Jojo
jim:quote