cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC, what to expect speed wise?

sammyinnit
Dabbler
Posts: 14
Registered: 03-03-2014

FTTC, what to expect speed wise?

Hi all,
I've had my FTTC/Openreach modem installed today, along with a new master socket, and on the off, I'm very impressed with the speed increase over my ADSL line.
Although, initial speed tests suggest around 35mbps~
I understand it has to 'bed in', and openreach advise 10 days for this to happen, but I'm within 60meters of my streets fibre cabinet, and was advised I should be able to achieve the full 76mbps.
Is there any variable on plusnets end that would limit the service I achieve that may have been overlooked or is it simply a case of give it time and it should increase?
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Posts: 6,824
Thanks: 1
Registered: 27-10-2012

Re: FTTC, what to expect speed wise?

What does it say here http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ for your estimated speeds?
Did the engineer tell you what you should be getting?
sammyinnit
Dabbler
Posts: 14
Registered: 03-03-2014

Re: FTTC, what to expect speed wise?

It's not giving any information on that site you linked me to. On the signup with plusnet they advised 76mbps. The engineer also advised the top end of speeds.
jim:quote
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Posts: 13,017
Thanks: 145
Fixes: 48
Registered: 27-04-2007

Re: FTTC, what to expect speed wise?

Sorry about this sammyinnit.
I've just corrected the speed profile for you.
It looks like human error so I'll make sure some feedback is passed on.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran
Posts: 6,824
Thanks: 1
Registered: 27-10-2012

Re: FTTC, what to expect speed wise?

What does it say here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed for Current Line Speed?
You could also try the BT Speed test http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and run the Further Diagnostics to see your BT IP Profile (if it's available to view now). It might be that PN's end is not matching with this.
Just to make sure of something as well, are you testing the speed wired or wirelessly?
sammyinnit
Dabbler
Posts: 14
Registered: 03-03-2014

Re: FTTC, what to expect speed wise?

Quote from: AndyH
What does it say here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed for Current Line Speed?
You could also try the BT Speed test http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and run the Further Diagnostics to see your BT IP Profile (if it's available to view now). It might be that PN's end is not matching with this.
Just to make sure of something as well, are you testing the speed wired or wirelessly?

Quote
Postcode:
Phone exchange:
BILSTON
Estimated line speed:
77Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2014-02-28 16:25:54
Current line speed:
37 Mb

I've tried the BT Wholesale test and Speedtest.net
All wired, 100mbit, cat5e cables, powered switches.
sammyinnit
Dabbler
Posts: 14
Registered: 03-03-2014

Re: FTTC, what to expect speed wise?

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
Sorry about this sammyinnit.
I've just corrected the speed profile for you.
It looks like human error so I'll make sure some feedback is passed on.

Thank you, how soon should I see a speed improvement?
Community Veteran
Posts: 6,824
Thanks: 1
Registered: 27-10-2012

Re: FTTC, what to expect speed wise?

You might need to disconnect/reconnect from the router admin page for the speed change to take effect - don't reboot your router to do this.
sammyinnit
Dabbler
Posts: 14
Registered: 03-03-2014

Re: FTTC, what to expect speed wise?

Quote from: AndyH
You might need to disconnect/reconnect from the router admin page for the speed change to take effect - don't reboot your router to do this.

Router, not VDSL modem?
Community Veteran
Posts: 6,824
Thanks: 1
Registered: 27-10-2012

Re: FTTC, what to expect speed wise?

Yes, from the router admin page (no need to do anything with the VDSL modem).
sammyinnit
Dabbler
Posts: 14
Registered: 03-03-2014

Re: FTTC, what to expect speed wise?

I've done all that's been suggested and I'm still at 35mbps?
Terranova667
Aspiring Pro
Posts: 1,247
Thanks: 57
Fixes: 2
Registered: 19-02-2014

Re: FTTC, what to expect speed wise?

what did the BTW  further diagnostic test say ie what profile did it say you were on it may well be that this is wrong if that is the case Plusnet will need to contact BTw and get them to set to the correct level 
sammyinnit
Dabbler
Posts: 14
Registered: 03-03-2014

Re: FTTC, what to expect speed wise?

Quote from: Terranova667
what did the BTW  further diagnostic test say ie what profile did it say you were on it may well be that this is wrong if that is the case Plusnet will need to contact BTw and get them to set to the correct level 

See attached
Community Veteran
Posts: 6,824
Thanks: 1
Registered: 27-10-2012

Re: FTTC, what to expect speed wise?

Could you double check the Plusnet Line Speed page again? It might be that has not been updated still...
sammyinnit
Dabbler
Posts: 14
Registered: 03-03-2014

Re: FTTC, what to expect speed wise?

Quote from: AndyH
Could you double check the Plusnet Line Speed page again? It might be that has not been updated still...

No change on that page; I'm not sure what the process is if it's being throttled at plusnets end.