cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC upto 80Mbps

WWWombat
Grafter

Re: FTTC upto 80Mbps

It isn't yet "80Mbps", or even "up to 80Mbps". Remember that it is the media who announced 80Mbps.(Without getting into the argument about the marketing use of "up to", and whether it should or shouldn't  include all the technical overhead, and whether the numbers are arbitrary or precise)
BT actually announced "roughly double", and everyone has translated that into "approx 80Mbps", but the less-precise follow-up only ever sees the "80Mbps". IIRC, One of the reports says that BT has seen 70Mbps in the labs, without further qualification on the distances or environment simulated in that lab environment. Here's a link to an older report on that, which incidentally reports that South Korea's 100Mbps network averages 30Mbps because of congestion...
However, it seems likely that the lab environment is either ideal, or set to simulate a real-life case. That means we should think of the 70Mbps level as either the best-possible target, or a reasonable target, but not the 80Mbps.
BTW - this article says that NICC gave BT permission to run at 17MHz a week ago. Two years ago, the frequency extensions were perceived as useful to cases where fibre went to a building (ie multi-dwelling blocks) or to a distribution point (out on the poles) only, so getting permission to use the first 17MHz extension in the wild, and from cabinets, is quite a reasonable leap. I wonder if it will go to 30MHz.
I also wonder if the current modems are capable of the 17a profile  Wink
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
phil4
Grafter

Quote from: markg140
why not claim "upto" what people actually achieve instead of some rounded up arbitary protocol number.

Cause 'sales people like nice round numbers... unless of course it's a price, in which case, it'll always be .99
markg140
Grafter

OpenReach engineer told me today and email went out around their office saying they are doing 80MB installs soon.
Looks like this is true.
phil4
Grafter

Hehehehe, Mark I just don't get you....  Smiley
markg140
Grafter

I meant like looks like we will be getting it a lot sooner.
WWWombat
Grafter

Quote from: WWWombat
BT actually announced "roughly double"

Looks like I got that wrong. In one place, they announced merely "roughly double", but in a later location, they actually announced "roughly double... to up to 80Mbps".
BT PR
If BT don't sort out their ordering system soon, my yet-to-be FTTC will be able to do 80Mbps before it has even tried 40.  Huh
Plusnet Customer
Epyon
Grafter

This may be helpful
phil4
Grafter

Don't suppose you have the same graph for the current upto 40?
WWWombat
Grafter

That graph is for the 8MHz profiles (8a - 8d). BT Currently use the 8c profile for the "Up to 40Mbps" service - the lowest power profile for cabinet use - and  they are also using a truncated frequency map, which currently only goes up to 7MHz, not 8. Their "Up to 80Mbps" service will be using the 17a profile, with 17MHz frequencies.
The graph isn't inaccurate when it shows fast speeds - BT undoubtedly limit the sync speed artificially for closer properties. However, it does look to be "optimistic" - in that it doesn't seem to take account of crosstalk from neighbour's installations.
This graph may be better, and explicitely does include crosstalk. The graph actually gets closer to BT's checker's estimates; note though that it shows the 8d profile, which is slightly higher power than BT's 8c profile.
Plusnet Customer
phil4
Grafter

Thanks, following that logic I'd expect circa 70Mb on the upgrade, and if they push it further (black line), perhaps 80.
WWWombat
Grafter

BTW - still don't have the FTTC installed. Talked to the Openreach engineer at the DP outside the house today, while he installed the neighbour's... and they were getting 40/10 sync. One bit of good news, anyway...
Plusnet Customer
markg140
Grafter

Pretty sure I can get upto 75MB.
Check this badboy out.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Worth noting on other tests I've seen 18MB upload.
phil4
Grafter

Looks like you're on the 80/20 already!!! nice one!
WWWombat
Grafter

Shocked  wow  Shocked
You obviously had the right tea & biccies for that installation!
Plusnet Customer
markg140
Grafter

No not at all, you all should get same or worse or better.
That's just the speed BT test to my house bypassing Plusnet's profile.
Thats why it says IP Profile set to 38717 or whatever.

Haven't come close to that again only had a 50, 72 and 45MB down.
Seen an 18MB up was like [Censored]!

Still think there's something dodgy with my connection.

EDIT: Scrap that just got a 73MB down and 14MB up.

It's strange its either I get 18MB up and about 50 down or I get 75ish down and 14 up.

EDIT2: Prove because it did happen.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us