cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC upgrade timings?

gollum
Grafter

FTTC upgrade timings?

My exchange has been upgraded to FTTC is now showing Accepting Orders at the Open Reach site. I would like to upgrade from ADSL with Plusnet but on Plusnets website my line is still showing only ADSL available. Is there a delay between AO and actually being able to upgrade and if so how long is it? I am a bit confused about whether all the cabinets connected to an exchange go live at the same time - seems unlikely and in that case to which cabinets does the AO for an exchange apply? Perhaps there is no way of telling.
Am I just being too impatient?  If it helps the exchange is EMMANT and I am on Cabinet 4
Regarding the upgrading from ADSL to FTTC, how long should I expect to be without internet access. Is it minutes or days? If it days then I could take advantage of a second line I have and install FTTC and when this is working cease ADSL on the other. Peoples experience would be of help here.
Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
anniesboy
Rising Star

Re: FTTC upgrade timings?

My exchange went FTTC ready nearly eighteen months ago. Im still waiting for my cabinet to be done.
ScottStorey
Pro
Fixes: 1

Hi Gollum,
On the openreach site it will change to accepting orders as soon as any one cabinet is capable of getting fibre. As anniesboy has suggested, there can be quite a delay.
The best thing to do is put your telephone number into http://dslchecker.bt.com/ and it should give you an estimated date for FTTC.
As for downtime, barring any problems, it is minimal. When I did the hop over to FTTC I was down for about 30 mins.
gollum
Grafter

Many thanks for replies.
Anniesboy - I am dismayed by your experience. I am confident that the situation will be better here because we have a stonking great rural subsidy and all of Rutland will get FTTC soon. Perhaps you need to move to the countryside! Who would have believed it.
Scott - thanks for that. I will wait patiently and just upgrade as soon as my cabinet is enabled.
anniesboy
Rising Star

I contacted BT about a year ago,here is part of their reply.
I do live in a village with a population of just under2000, but it is generally very affluent (not me)
The council are promising funding ,it seemed to me BT were just holding out for this.
BT reply
Our deployment is based on the commercial criteria for each cabinet and your PCP  fails to meet the commercial criteria. This is because the cabinet is too small to provide a return on the investment based on the costs for the construction and on-going running costs of providing a new FTTC cabinet.
Where cabinets are not commercially viable Government funding is available to county councils and it is worth registering your interest with our County Council.
You may also wish to lobby your local councillor on progress in your local area. You can also register your interest on the Openreach website at;  www.openreach.co.uk