Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC still running at <10mbs

Fleep
Dabbler

FTTC still running at <10mbs

Hi there.
This is the second time I've posted about this issue, previously the fault was highlighted as a battery connection causing line noise, and was 'repaired' by Openreach at which point they completely broke my internet.
Since this, they've managed to get my connectivity back again, however I am getting a VERY reliable 9.0mb/s downspeed, and 0.8 up. These speeds seem too static as to be noise or whatever else on the line, has my IP profile been limited to a certain up/down? Or is the current terrible speed caused by the fault I still have logged?
Would you be able to confirm that it isn't a profile issue, and that the speed is being caused by the fault?
This fiber connection has barely worked since it was installed, and has been nothing but hassle so far. I'll be glad to get all of these things resolved and maybe I can find out whether the money i've paid so far is actually worth it!
Many thanks for the advice!
30 REPLIES 30
thesawdust
Grafter

Re: FTTC still running at <10mbs

Hello,
please run http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com - after click further diagnostics
This will give you current IP Profile
Fleep
Dabbler

Unfortunately in work for another 3 hours. I'll be able to run it when I arrive home. Apologies, I thought this was something you could check.
I'll get back to you when I can run the test.
Thanks for the help sir!
thesawdust
Grafter

What does the speed say in the member centre
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Fleep
Dabbler

High-speed Broadband
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Estimated line speed:
There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.
Current line speed:
9.6 Mb

Not exactly close to 80/20 Tongue
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I can see that you've got a telephone fault raised with us. We've got engineers investigation this issue for you.
It's very likely that the telephone fault we're detecting is causing this issue. The speeds are low and we know they shouldn't be, however, once the fault has been cleared, you should see the speeds return.
Fleep
Dabbler

Thanks so much for the feedback Chris.
I understand I've made several calls about the issue, but last time I called, it turned out nobody had contacted me to let me know that my fault was logged as Resolved, when it clearly wasn't,
Forgive me for being in constant contact, however if I don't, It's my experience that I can't trust that my issue is still being addressed, and I have no visibility as to what is happening to rectify the problem.
Do you have any information as to when I can expect to receive a resolution, and a proper speed from the line? Even before these issues it was running around 30/8, which is way below your line estimates.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No problem at all.
We;re expecting a further update (and hopefully resolution) by the end of the day on Monday. Chances are that there has been an underlying issue which has recently got worse which has caused the speeds to be lower than we would expect.
Fingers crossed for further information at some point on Tuesday.
dragon2611
Grafter

Those speeds almost look like ADSL rather than FTTC  Shocked
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yes - due to a fault.
Fleep
Dabbler

Thanks Chris! Very much appreciated.
I understand you're waiting on your subcontractors in this case, but since I can't contact them directly I've just started to make a nieusance of myself to you guys instead, Sorry for being a pain.
dragon, since before christmas it's actually slower than the ADSL I had previously Sad OpenReach attempted some 'ground work' on the line, which disabled my net completely, and then logged the fault as Resolved.
Several days later they manage to restore connectivity to the same kind of speed as it has been for the past 2+ months.
Right now I'm just glad I'm not totally disconnected. PlusNet have been polite and more than helpful when I've managed to summon the patience to get through their 45minute support wait times. I know it's OpenReach's fault, my only minor issue with PlusNet is the lack of feedback. If I don't call and hassle, I don't find out, and the emails I receive give me no useful information.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's not a problem at all - I appreciate you just want it sorting and your speeds back up.
The more information you can get, the better Smiley
jusbriggs2

Just to let you know, I live round the corner from Fleep. There was a congestion issue with the fibre up until the tail end of last week where the speeds would bootom out during peak times. Just wanted to let you know that the speeds have returned to normal. Would there be any way of raising his line profile to see?
Fleep
Dabbler

Is this something you can look into, Chris?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi jusbriggs2,
Thanks for posting Smiley
I've had a look at your connection rate and it is matching your speed profile set on our systems. The speeds you're receiving should be back to normal now, assuming the congestion issue has been resolved.