Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC speed

Craigy
Dabbler

FTTC speed

Hey,
I had FTTC installed late November, during the first week the FTTC modem got unplugged for 5-10 mins while someone stuck their phone on charge (after this I did explain never, ever to touch that plug again). Before this we was getting 73meg with no disconnections or packet loss... Since the modem was unplugged we've dropped down to 61meg.
I've restarted (after disconnecting via the router) the modem once, after being connected 4 weeks to see if that helped, but it didn't.
I know we're still getting pretty good speeds, but I was wondering how long it'd take to recover? (if it ever does)
Cheers,
Craig
9 REPLIES 9
AndyH
Grafter

Re: FTTC speed

It should go back up on its own after a while. You could try disconnecting/reconnecting from the router admin page (not turning the router/modem off) and see if that helps at all.
Have you noticed any issues with your phone line (noise/static)?
Normally the BT estimates are pretty good for speeds, but they are estimates only.
Roblister
Grafter

Sounds like it's decided it's an error and applied interleaving, a form of error correction that gives you about a 20% hit to speed.
Ours got interleaving applied after a few days of activation and dropped from 62 to 50, it's stayed at that ever since so I think ours is just a naturally error-prone line for some reason.
If your line is error-free though it should take it back off again after a few weeks.
Having seen what real problems are like (2-4mbit on evenings and weekends currently) I don't really care about the interleaving any more  Tongue
Craigy
Dabbler

@AndyH - We've not got a phone connected at the minute (purely use the line for the internet). Will pick one up in town next week and will have a listen.
@Roblister - My parents have FTTC and they have periods where interleaving is turned on and then off a few days later... We've had a stable connection as far as I'm aware from install date... Would be nice to see if one of the mods can post the connection logs to verify this? But yeah, our connection works, and it fast, just would be nice to get that 10meg or so back 😄
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

The upstream on that BTW speedtest of 0.01 is terrible! Is there anything running within your network that could be throttling your upstream bandwidth - any P2P or other uploads? Done a recent virus/malware check?
Congested upstream will have a knock-on effect on the downstream performance.
Craigy
Dabbler

The upstream on that test is terrible, I think it's an ongoing issue with the BTW Speedtest. Sometimes the report will be consistent with the result from speedtest.net and others (like the one attached) will report a near 0 speed.
I've had that discussion before, someone in the house was saturating the upload and then moaning the stream kept cutting out on Netflix... There's no virus/malware on the network, also all the devices on the network are Macs, iPhones and a Synology NAS 🙂 Thanks though
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi, the profile going up depends on the line resyncing at a higher speed - which may well not happen if the modem's staying on and connected. If fibre is similar to ADSL then rebooting at around lunchtime would get you the best sync speed, though disconnect via the router's interface before you do power it off. Normally we'd not recommend doing this but it sounds like it may be worth it in this case.
Craigy
Dabbler

Hi Matt,
I'm not normally at home around lunch time, so I tried it late last night. According to the BT Speed test I've lost a few hundred Kbps, but it's now operating outside of the acceptable range. Any other troubleshooting tips?
Craig 
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Not surprised it synced at a lower speed as you did resync it about as far from lunchtime as it's possible to get? That does give us grounds to raise a fault though so not all is lost, raise it to us at http://faults.plus.net and paste those speed results into the comments/other info section at the end of the faults wizard and we'll get on it for you.
Craigy
Dabbler

Yeah, I messed up there  :-\... Will log a fault now