Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC speed or lack there of.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: FTTC speed or lack there of.

Quote from: AndyH
It's probably just as annoying for PN as they must get frustrated when customers vent their anger at the lack of updates and they can't do anything. At the end of the day, everyone is in the hands (and mercy!) of BT.

I can certainly say that for the length of time I've been a Plusnet customer, that is certainly the case. They do get frustrated and in a lot of circumstances I'm certain it's as much as the customer.
Quote from: pod000
......... it maybe how BT work but that doesn't mean We should accept shoddy service. Since joining Plusnet I have had problem after Problem after Problem........................................ Without Plusnet pushing for answers I won't know.

Quote from: pod000
Quote from: Chris
I'm not going to promise you something that I might not be able to deliver.

I don't want PROMISES I would like ANSWERS to an eleven day old problem.
Plusnet yet again doing me proud. way to go..

@pod000
Whilst I understand your anger especially after all the problems with your install, as AndyH has already said - Plusnet is at the mercy of BTw, so being rude to Chris Pettitt and suggesting he is giving shoddy service is unreasonable. He's a perfectly genuine chap and will be doing his utmost to get what information he can from BTw. He knows how to kick them more than most, but there is a limit to what kicking can be done at this level, and BTw choose what information they want to provide.
What appals me is the apparent lack of action from the Account Manager (the person that deals with the contract with BTw) and the CEO at Plusnet in getting BTw to provide proper responses and a better standard of service. I feel sorry for the Digital Care Team and other Plusnet staff  that post here because when it comes to issues like this, they are only allowed to say what their masters allow them to.
I bet that Jamie Ford, if he's still CEO (no news that he's resigned) hasn't got the bottle to post here and tell us what he's doing about this atrocious situation.
People with these problems also need to complain to OFCOM about the abysmal performance of BT Wholesale and Openreach. Don't be put off by any weasel words about complaining to the ISP, tell them you have done that but their hands are tied as BTw and OR have a monopoly. Remind OFCOM that they are the industry regulator and you want your complaint logging and a reference number.
Until enough people complain, nothing is likely to be done about this disgusting monopoly.
pod000
Grafter

@anotherone
so being rude to Chris Pettitt and suggesting he is giving shoddy service is unreasonable. He's a perfectly genuine chap and will be doing his utmost to get what information he can from BTw

My sincere apologies to Chris Pettitt if he, like yourself has gotten the wrong end of the stick . None of the things I write on this forum are directed at individuals unless they obviously are. I will include the persons name if that's the case.
You can take it as a given that when I reply to Plusnet members of staff ,I am in fact replying to Plusnet not the individual
I am not Angry about the situation but am annoyed and frustrated.
What I find hard to believe is that when a problem has gone on for this long and is obviously affecting a number of people. Plusnet just have to take "there is an issue" and can do nothing else except wait for their masters to throw them a bone.
individual ISP's must have an equivalent body to OFCOM  that they can complain to.
And it should not be up to an individual to complain about shoddy service to anyone other than the organisation that he/she is paying money to for a service they aren`t recieving, surely. Though saying that I have been to the ofcom website which doesn`t make it very easy to complain.
I`ve edited this after reading through Anotherones post again
Finguz
Grafter

According the pair of BT engineers who just left, our issue is result of the theft of a length of fibre optic cable somewhere between York and Sheffield.
Two to three weeks for it to be fixed, but probably nearer three.
It is definitely nice to know, but three weeks sucks  Sad
AndyH
Grafter

I knew BT are having a constant battle with people stealing their copper cable (due to the significant scrap value), but I never realised they were stealing fibre cable too - which surely must be worthless? Unless the thieves didn't know what it was....

Finguz
Grafter

According to the engineers the cables are clearly marked as fibre, but whatever the case, that is the reason they are giving.
Clearly not a lot of thought went into their daring cable heist  /facepalm
pod000
Grafter

I would take what an engineer says with a pinch of salt. That's the third different version of what the problem is. All from engineers  Angry
Finguz
Grafter

I would be inclined to agree with you, although he did read it from a short paragraph he had on a sheet of Openreach headed paper.
Maybe we'll get some more information from Plusnet?
Undecided
pod000
Grafter

If that is the case let's hope it's three weeks from when it happened not from now.
Finguz
Grafter

That exactly what I said in reply.
They said it was from yesterday  Roll_eyes
pod000
Grafter

It doesn't tally up really. nearly two weeks ago this started and your engineers reckon it's down to a lump of fibre that's missing. BTW would of known about that nearly instantaneously wouldn't they.
AndyH
Grafter

I think someone stealing some fibre cable linking two of BTW's core nodes between Sheffield and York would have a far bigger knock on effect (on tens of thousands of users), rather than those localised in Scarborough.
Something else - I think that voice calls are carried over fibre in BTW's 21CN network. A missing link would surely impact voice calls too.
Finguz
Grafter

You certainly would have thought so, but with us hearing nothing from our ISP, all we have to go on is what we hear from the various engineers that actually decide to turn up.
To be totally honest I didn't know an engineer was coming until the last minute yesterday and it wasn't made very clear whether he/they would need access to the house as it wasn't mentioned. Luckily one of the engineers phoned me before arriving and delayed his visit long enough for me to pick up the various bits and pieces I needed in town.
It's as plain as the nose on my face that the the Plusnet guys dealing with this are indeed trying their level best, but it's also painfully obvious that the underlying system is severely lacking. Whoever decided it was a good idea to have a policy of " Sorry we can't tell you anything unless BT tell us something, and they might or they might not " is permanently off my x-mas card list.
I'm going to find something else to occupy my time for the next three weeks though, it's a losing battle trying to do anything other than browse ( slowly ) with this connection.
@AndyH They said it was affecting lots of users all over the place, including York, Sheffield and Leeds. They made no mention of telephone issues but I don't think telephone services are carried on fibre optic cables are they?
pod000
Grafter

Issue detected with Fibre Backbone Cable. Escalation owner now aware. Awaiting update within 1 hour. Will respond with further information on this ticket once information has been gathered.
Kind regards,
Chris Pettitt

We wait with bated breath.
Finguz
Grafter

Well, hopefully we should be getting an update any time now....
pod000
Grafter

That update was posted at 3.30pm.... I am starting to feel like a mushroom.