cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC "modem only" requirement.

mzrider
Dabbler

FTTC "modem only" requirement.

Can anyone tell me of a suitable "modem ONLY" replacement for the BT Openreach ECI VDSL2 modem that was fitted last week as part of my upgrade using FTTC?
Netgear don't list one, but I want separate modem & router so that the router part can be reset as required without resetting the VDSL2 connection.
I have a Netgear WNDR4500 router that has a PPPoE input that used to be used with a Netgear DM111P ADSL2+ modem used in RFC bridge mode. The WNDR4500 does work with the ECI B-FoCus V-2Fub/r modem supplied by BT, but the ECI modem is crippled and does not let the line stats be seen.
Initially my download speed was 24Mbps (acceptable given how far away the green cabinet is), but recent tests have given a download speed of between 8Mbps & 18Mbps. If I can see my line stats (inc. sync rate), then I will know if any VDSL2 issues occur without bothering Plusnet Staff.
9 REPLIES 9
gianthaystax
Grafter

Re: FTTC "modem only" requirement.

Your best bet is probably a Home Hub 5 off ebay for around £50 and use it in a modem only mode.
mzrider
Dabbler

If I am to try the BT HomeHub 5 then can anyone give me a link to a manual so that I can judge its capabilities?
Can the HH5 also provide line stats via some software such as Routerstats or eDMT?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I'd try an unlocked HG612 from ebay (or you can unlock if you get a locked one).
http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612unlock.htm
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
leader
Grafter

^^
+1 on unlocked Openreach modems.
They are far more stable with the BT software removed & provide a wealth of information on the line.

jimbof
Grafter

Quote from: Webif
They are far more stable with the BT software removed & provide a wealth of information on the line.

Really?  I'm not sure I've ever seen any stability issue I could put down to the "BT software" (BT Agent?).  I can see the benefit of the line stats, of course.
leader
Grafter

There are  numerous improvements with speed /  stability when running firmware with BT's software removed.
We have confirmed that modems re-flashed with non-BT firmware do not have the same problem, though we don't usually recommend doing this as it is a BT modem and part of the service.

http://status.aaisp.net.uk/1854
Wealth of information also on Kitz comparing  different unlocked firmwares  speed -errors /distance and dlm profiling against the standard BT firmware. Wink
jimbof
Grafter

Thanks, useful info.  I'm running an ECI modem on an ECI cab which I can practically spit on from my house, so I guess this is why none of this is useful to me! Smiley
mzrider
Dabbler

I've got an unlocked ECI B-FoCus V-2Fub/i to try when I get time after 10 days have passed since FTTC was enabled. (Does the 10 day training period really exist for VDSL2?)
I need to get to the line stats because minutes after FTTC was enabled I got (using the speedtest from Ookla) about 24Mbps down & 1Mbps up (pretty much as expected for about 1km to the green box), but since then I can only get 0.34Mbps up speed.
That's terrible, I need to see the stats.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: mzrider
(Does the 10 day training period really exist for VDSL2?)

No, I believe the line training is pretty much complete after 2 days on FTTC.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.