cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC - "BTW Performance Test" fails to give profile

moth
Dabbler

FTTC - "BTW Performance Test" fails to give profile

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ runs the best effort etc.  Then on clicking through "Further Diagnostics" it fails with the following message:
"Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information."

I have tried different browsers and different machines - same result.
This failure coincides with a sudden drop in the speed of my connection, so I am very concerned, and would like to get this working again so I can find out what has gone wrong.  On FTTC this is our only access to connection details as the modem is locked down.
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ seems a bit flaky at the best of times, but I have never had this total failure before.  Hoping someone can help with this.
24 REPLIES 24
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: FTTC - "BTW Performance Test" fails to give profile

Hi there,
What results are you seeing from other online speed testers? I'm not aware of anything that would be causing that to happen.
I've just performed some line diagnostics and see that the profile is currently set to 63000kbps and our is set in line with that.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
moth
Dabbler

There are no problems with other online speed testers.
I have tried again using my BT Wholesale broadband Service ID rather than the line number.
I have also tested with http://windows.mouselike.org/be/?DoAction=BrasChecker, which returns the following:-
"Looks like BT refused to test, possibly because a speed test or BRAS check has been run recently which prevents this tool from working. Try again in a few hours.
Debug: BT no BRAS info"

I am, therefore, convinced that BTW are failing the test, rather than there being a problem with the speed test software.
I hope someone at plusnet can get BTW to lift this blockage.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I am, therefore, convinced that BTW are failing the test, rather than there being a problem with the speed test software.

There's no reason why that would happen, plus the diagnostics I ran should flag any profile issues to us which it didn't
What speeds do the other testers show you?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
moth
Dabbler

What speeds do the other testers show you?

Like I said, I have no issue with speed testers.  I just cannot access my BRAS profile, which appears to have been banded for some reason.  I believe that if there was a genuine SNR issue then interleaving would be on.  As far as I can tell it is off.
Until last week my profile was 77.43 / 20.00 and speeds attainable matched this.  I was as a result of my downstream throughput dropping to about 60 Mb/s that I began this investigation.
moth
Dabbler

Aha, I see that dgburton is also having this trouble with BT Wholesale speed tester
    http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,117705.0.html
picbits
Rising Star

Mine fails quite regularly on the extended test part of the checker - I get through around 1 or 2 times out of 5 (on average) and there is the whole test to go through again before it will let you retest.
KevinA
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Quote from: moth
http://windows.mouselike.org/be/?DoAction=BrasChecker

Usefull Link, Bookmarked!!!
moth
Dabbler

Usefull Link, Bookmarked!!!

It would be wonderful, if only it worked on my line.
moth
Dabbler

BT Wholesale do advise users to contact their ISP if the error condition persists.
I did mention this in the course of another ticket.  I am wondering if I should raise one specifically about this problem.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Until last week my profile was 77.43 / 20.00 and speeds attainable matched this.  I was as a result of my downstream throughput dropping to about 60 Mb/s that I began this investigation.

A test I've just run that shows me the BRAS profile now reflects that, I'd advise raising a fault: http://faults.plus.net
Aha, I see that dgburton is also having this trouble with BT Wholesale speed tester

I wondered if that was more due to the fact that his service isn't marked as being active yet? but it seems there's an over all issue.
I am wondering if I should raise one specifically about this problem.

No need cheers, we're aware I'm just seeing what I can find out from BTW about that.

Adam
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Michaelsobanja
Dabbler

I am experiencing exactly the same problem, also with falling line speed. sync speed is 51.4 (original estimate 55) achieved 47-49 two weeks ago, now down to 39 and no ability to use the BTW tester... same message as OP
Michaelsobanja
Dabbler

Just tried the BE BRAS checker - fails also but comes up with this message
Data For: 01604XXXXXXXXX
Exchange: CHAPEL BRAMPTON (EMCHAPE)
BT Recorded Line Length to Exchange (m): 1463
BE LLU: Activated
Real Error: Migration code required for this number
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

[Edit] Please ignore- irrelevant.
Something odd happening, running 'further diagnostics' currently takes me straight into a tap3 test (the initial speed test result is giving a download speed of 62Mb/s on a 64Mb/s sync), tap3 fails because I'm not connected as speedtest@speedtest_domain.  This has only happened today.
[edit]
Whatever was causing the tap3 problem has now cleared, working normally again.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
moth
Dabbler

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
No need cheers, we're aware I'm just seeing what I can find out from BTW about that.

Thanks for your effort Adam.  Any news?
I still can't access my profile, not through http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ nor any other utility.  I am still on reduced speed.