cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC ordering frustration

emtee
Grafter

FTTC ordering frustration

I'm in Rothbury, where the major roll-out of the government's rural broadband was formally launched yesterday (Sec of State, BT bigwigs and media in attendance) with my cabinet being the first to go live. It actually went live last week and I placed my order via Plusnet - accepted, and got an install appointment for Thursday 12th. Then an email saying there was a problem with the order, and it had been cancelled.
I'm told that the problem is because it's a migration from 20CN to FTTC (there will be no 21CN at the exchange) and BTw's ordering system has been down for two weeks. But, that should affect everyone as it's only a small exchange and there's no LLU.
I did get an update from Plusnet saying that BTw has confirmed that a fix is due on Sunday, the order should be able to go through on Monday, and I'll be contacted on Monday (and, knowing Plusnet's reliability, that will happen). Because more cabinets are coming online very soon, and installations are already past Christmas (and possibly into the New Year by now) it does now suggest that I'm in for a long wait.
I would have thought that everyone else should have the same issue, but I know of nobody else here that it has affected. Indeed, in one case the router has arrived and several have now received formal confirmations of installation date/time. Indeed, BT guys confirmed at the launch that there should be no problems with the migration.
So I'm still trying to figure out why.
6 REPLIES 6
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: FTTC ordering frustration

Hi there,
Sorry to hear about the issues you've had ordering fibre. I've checked the ticket on your account and can see the issue is in good hands with one of my colleagues on the provisioning team.
I hope the database issue is fixed on the 15th as we expect.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
emtee
Grafter

Thanks - yes, it is in hand.
What I'm really trying to figure out why it is only my order via Plusnet that has been affected. If it's a database issue, then surely everyone attempting to migrate should be hitting the same problem - but they're not.
Maybe something for Ofcom.
digitalham
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: emtee
If it's a database issue, then surely everyone attempting to migrate should be hitting the same problem - but they're not.

When my cabinet was activated I discovered that all the houses in my row right up to the cabinet could order but none on the same pole as me could. I had to go through the BT CEO office to get it fixed so that I could order. When I did order Openreach decided that they CBA to turn up on the arranged date so I stayed on VM cable. A year or so later and I'm trying again through Plusnet this time. Maybe OR will bother to show this time or maybe they won't. There can be many a slip twixt order and delivery.
emtee
Grafter

At least you had the VM option. I'm in a remote rural area, where there's no cable, no 3G/4G, and not much else - but we're part of the BDUK rollout. My ADSLMax connection isn't too bad (after a lot of problems this time last year), but the main database is showing I should have no problems ordering but I do. My neighbours (off the same DP) have no problems at all.
My concern is in case someone is trying to gain commercial advantage.
Routefinder
Grafter

In directly related to this (perhaps?) is when does BTOR get its database updated where the FTTC work is part of the BDUK rollout???
The reason I ask is because the infrastructure on my exchange is going on now in that FTTC cabinets might all be installed and I have seen BTOR engineers working at various FTTC cabs including the one very recently installed with my PCP.  including as I understand "underground network" work in various locations. Cool
Talking to the Surrey Superfast people a few weeks back I asked how will they let folk know? As I understood it, the 1st step is leafleting, 2nd Letters to each household & 3rd the BT Superfast BB stickers on the FTTC cabinets................putting my postcode into the checker on the Surrey SuperfastBB website says Fibre by end of December.  Frankly I suspect it will be in January sometime at this rate as how can they do all the announcements and actually book any BTOR home installs this close to Christmas, though it would be nice to get an appointment booked for first thing in the new year???
So when will PN know that the exchange is ready to take orders  Smiley Wink
emtee
Grafter

As far as we were concerned, there was absolutely no hint at all that it was coming on any public-facing database, right up to the launch. We knew (from local councillor, expressions-of-interest and local publicity) that it was on its way.
There was then a big launch event (all households were leafleted in advance) and it only appeared on the databases on the launch day (although Samknows was giving a service date of the end of December) with stickers appeared on the cabinet. BT and several others were then accepting orders (although, at present, only one cabinet is online, with a second coming online over the weekend, and the other three to follow, plus two new cabinets for those directly on the exchange).
It's interesting that Plusnet couldn't process my order, and I was told that this would be true of all those attempting to order - but that's not the case, as the first installations have actually been completed and gone live this morning.