Re: FTTC order

Morning, not sure what you mean
Estimate for line
Downstream: 34600
Upstream: 7000
Wholesale speed profile and current sync rate
Downstream Speed 49.5 Mbps
Upstream Speed 11.4 Mbps
Profile Name 27M-54M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 7.5M-15M Upstream, Interleaving Off
Plusnet Profile
Connection Profile: Generic Speed 47800 No Time Out 
Plusnet speed profile is throughput speed rather than sync which is why its slightly lower than sync rate. Let me know what your referring to and we can look into it
Twills.
geoffa
Grafter

Quote from: Devonian
Why is my BT connection still sync'ing at 13 meg MORE on the downstream than Plusnet? 

Almost certainly because your newly connected BT line has a lower attenuation than your existing line carrying the Plusnet connection. The fact that they enter the premises in the same 2 pair cable is irrelevant. Any cable joints between your premises and the cabinet will be newly made for the BT line, whereas they will have existed for some time in the original Plusnet connection.
I would be willing to bet that if it were possible to swap the 2 lines over in the cab that the situation would be reversed.
Twills
Grafter

Sorry, completely forgot you had 2 lines to the property 😕 Thanks Bellerby
Devonian
Grafter

That line estimate has dropped even more!
The estimate was originally upto 68/20!!
It's amazing that as soon as BTOR find an expensive fault (degraded aluminium that's the engineer reported 2 years yes TWO YEARS ago as needing to be replaced , the line estimate drops to below the line profile... voilà fault fixed for free!
I's disgusting, it really is.
Not only that, I am paying a premium charge for a premium (degraded) service.

@Bellerby My PN line sync'd at over 60meg originally and slowly dropped over a month or so. 
geoffa
Grafter

@Bellerby My PN line sync'd at over 60meg originally and slowly dropped over a month or so. 

No surprise really. The crosstalk effect of fibre uptake will have a greater effect on a line with higher attenuation than a line with lower attenuation.
Devonian
Grafter

As of 2 weeks ago, I was/am the only customer in my cab.
Devonian
Grafter

Well my router sync speed has dropped even lower today.
I'm getting pretty pee'd off now, it's getting slower and slower, yet I am paying premium money.
I should have stayed on ADSL.
I am not impressed Plusnet, not one little bit.
BT are giving me 68/20.
Plusnet is giving me 41/20.
smiler1
Grafter

Hi Devonian,
            you are not the only one , I see we have the same problems, (see my post "FTTC SLOWING down below estimate").
The goal posts keep getting lowered, then BTO  and Pn say there is no problem. .....line fixed!!!!!!!

I give up  Cry Cry 
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

@Devonian - If you want to us to continue to push on this, please ensure that you keep the Fault Ticket open. The issue is that our suppliers work against the current speed estimate, whether this changes or not. I think that the speed estimate changes based on all connections connected to the cabinet you're connected to. As I don't have access to other customers from different ISP's line data, there's no way that I can be 100% certain that is the case, however it seems likely. If you want us to investigate though, please raise and keep the fault ticket open - I'm happy to pick this up if required.
@smiler1 - I'll take a look at your thread.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

BT are giving me 68/20.
Plusnet is giving me 41/20.

Let's be a little bit fairer here; these are speeds between your house and the BTOR cabinet over BTOR lines.  For this to be an ISP influenced differential, then one would need to show that BTOR have provisioned a different level of service between the two ISPs.
Iirc you had the lines switched over at the cabinet and the equipment at the sockets.  This slightly degraded the BT service, but did not improve the PN service.  From that information I would conclude that the original PN line is defective (which we already knew) and that the PN service modem or cabinet card / port is not performing correctly.  It would be interesting to get the services switched between the two lines at the exchange... but I just don't see BTOR being willing to do that.
@DCT - an off the wall idea - what would be involved to attempting a test connect to the PN service on the other line or using the other modem?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Do you mean simply switching the modem over?
If you mean moving a service from one line to another, that would cost and would take some time as it would need to be done as part of an order.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: Chris
Do you mean simply switching the modem over?

Chris,
Yes if viable.  As I see this matter, the synch speed is solely governed by the conditions of the cabinet equipment, the d-side pair, the NTE5 / face plate, interface cable and router.  There is a marked difference in synch speed between the two services; todate the focus has been on the aluminium in the d-side, however swapping d-side / NTE5 / face plate between the two services did not improve the PN service synch.  That rather points to modem or cabinet port / card.
If a modem swap is technically viable, it would eliminate another component of the problem - IF my recollection of all the history is correct.  Note I am assuming that the fibre side can have no impact on synch rate / data transfer rates and that the speed test results are directly representative of synch speed and not "slugged" by some other factor?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We could look at trying an alternative modem, that would require an engineer to go out to do this and to test the theory - I don't think it's the modem to be honest. If anything, it's going to be the d-side pair. It's unlikely that the pair would be changed unless the pair itself is deemed as faulty, which against the line estimate, wouldn't come back as faulty, but happy to try.
Devonian
Grafter

Hi guys, sorry for the late reply, I've had a mad few days.
Just to clarify, I now have a BTHH5 connected to the Plusnet line and no modem.
As I have 2 HH5 (1 on the BT line to) I swapped them about a week back, and still get the same connection.
Now, I have noticed my PN line seems to be dropping, at least the router has only been up for 5 hours, and last night it reported as being up for 3 hours, where as the BT line is yet to drop at all.
I haven't been monitoring the line as mch as I should, so I can't say for sure how often it is dropping.
I will start fault ticket as Chris suggested in a moment and see if it sheds any light.
Also I'd like to make a quick apology for my previous post, it looks a little rude... I was tired, rushing, and in a bad mood!  Angry  (work stuff)
Thanks for the input.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi,
That's interesting news... I wonder where this leaves the problem...?
Two FTTC services from two suppliers over the same (aluminium) d-side bundle show a marked difference in performance.
Swapping the d-side pairs between the two services suggests the (original) PN pair is better than the BT pair.
Swapping the modem on the PN service for a hh5 delivers no improvement.
So what's left to be defective - cabinet port / card / fibre?

Kevin