cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC openreach and ADSL

tullyhubbert9
Dabbler

FTTC openreach and ADSL

Hi all. My brother has just moved house. He's a PlusNet customer (saintfieldtown) and is currently waiting on his telephone line and ADSL being activated at the new house.Looking at it briefly there appears to be an openreach main socket suggesting the previous occupants had FTTC Infinity.
So the obvious question is will his ADSL router work with that arrangement if it was Infinity or will I need to change it for a standard NTE5 faceplate? (I'd actually use an ADSLNation filtered faceplate)
Thanks
--
JC
11 REPLIES 11
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: FTTC openreach and ADSL

will his ADSL router work with that arrangement if it was Infinity or will I need to change it for a standard NTE5 faceplate

Yes, I can't see why that shouldn't work. It's essentially a filtered faceplate.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Yes socket should work,
DSL port for router/modem and TEL port for landline telephones
No microfilters would be needed for any socket in the house if the router/modem is in the FTTC socket, but microfilters will be needed if you want to have the router/modem on an extension socket.
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Quote from: NorthEasterner
...but microfilters will be needed if you want to have the router/modem on an extension socket.

Does that not depend upon how the extension is wired?  I believe the following to be correct...
If the extension comes from the phone socket on the front plate, there will be no ADSL signal on that extension.
If the extension is taken off the back of the face plate, there will only be an ADSL signal if the extension pair is connected to the A/B terminals.
If connected to terminal 2/5 again there will be no ADSL signal.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

I know my extension sockets don't require microfilters and is stated on many FTTC websites that you won't need microfilters.
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

NE,
May be I'm confused by the way you stated matters...
Quote from: NorthEasterner
... but microfilters will be needed if you want to have the router/modem on an extension socket.

Your reply, I believe, refers to PHONES on extension sockets, where the extension wiring is connected to terminals 2/5 on the back of the filter face plate.  These are filtered terminals, not having the ADSL signal, there is therefore nothing to be filtered (for the connection of phones) and consequently no signal for the operation of an ADSL modem, with or without filters.
Cheers,
Kevin.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Then how can you connect a router to a telephone jack thats not RJ11
I have used a microfilter on a filtered extension on BT ADSL moving away from PN FTTC and bt hub worked on downstairs ext socket, even though it was filtered by the master socket.
tullyhubbert9
Dabbler

Thanks all.
From what I've read the openreach faceplate is similiar to or the same as a standard filtered faceplate (ADSL Nation XTE-2005 for example) Depending on how its wired (I'll check) its likely that no micro filters will be required on the extension sockets because as with a standard filtered faceplate the ADSL is filtered out / stopped at that point.
The router will be located at the main socket and not on an extension socket so hopefully there will be no issues.
tullyhubbert9
Dabbler

Update:
The transfer should have been completed on 4th December but as he had no dialling tone on his phone we thought it hadn't been completed yet. By chance I rang his new number tonight and it rang in but the line had very poor voice quality. When tried his router did not sync either, constant flashing indicator light.
Removing the openreach faceplate and plugging the phone directly into the rear socket (Or via a microfilter) and then the phone works properly, can make and receive calls with good voice clarity. (Problem with house extensions/wiring I expect) However the router sync issue is the same. I've tried 3 new microfilters and 3 routers, safe to say they aren't the problem.
Looks like a call to PlusNet tomorrow, I did try tonight but for identity reasons they couldn't discuss his account with me (He wasn't available at the time)
If anyone from PlusNet Towers happens to read this its ticket number #77690208
Thanks
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

When tried his router did not sync either, constant flashing indicator light.
Likelihood is that ADSL hasn't been activated yet. In theory both phone and ADSL can be activated at the same time using a Simultaneous order ( SIM Provide ) but this needs about 10 days notice. If the phone is a simple restart of a stopped line then it's often quicker to do the phone provide ( which can be almost instant ) and then order the ADSL ( which takes about 5 days ) once the phone is active. I'm sure one of the DC team will spot this thread and advise what the situation is in this case.

tullyhubbert9
Dabbler

Quick update, MisterW is correct as he got in from work today to find the router now syncing and internet is go ...  Smiley
I'll pop down later to have a look as its still connected via a micro filter to the back socket of the openreach unit.
Quick question, to test the openreach socket and to see if the house phone wiring is a problem (expected to be so) I'll have to unplug/plug in the router several times (Prob lots of times) Is there a training/teaching/stabalisation period for the connection and will this cause the connection to be set lower than necessary? Should I leave well enugh alone for 10 days or so?
Thanks.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: tullyhubbert9
will this cause the connection to be set lower than necessary? Should I leave well enugh alone for 10 days or so?

You are right to be concerned about this.  Numerous uncontrolled disconnects over a short duration will cause the DLM (yes there is DLM on ADSL) to think that the line is having problems and then to adjust your synch rate down (actually it moves the target SNRM up, but the result is a lower synch rate).  If it thinks things are really bad, your line could get banded, so that no matter how stable your line becomes you cannot get a faster speed.  This can all apply both within and after the 10 day training period, though within that period, if left alone one would hope that it recovers.
The best approach is to avoid the issue by controlling the disconnects.  Before disconnecting the wires, log into the modem and manually disconnect the PPP session.  This sends an user disconnect status which, as I understand it causes the DLM to ignore the next loss of DSL session.  NTE that sometimes after a manual PPP disconnect, the TG582n routers require a manual reconnect.
HTH