cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC newbie questions

chesterfield
Grafter

FTTC newbie questions

Well,  Long time PN customer (got to be over a decade now hasn't it?)
Imagine my surprise when checking to see if there was any update on FTTC availability in my one horse town when it said "available" !!
So, fibre unlimited order duly placed and now begins the long 3 week wait for the engineer appointment.  This wait will drag forever, even though Ive been waiting a couple of years or more already  Smiley  (beer tokens for a swifter engineer visit Smiley )
Anyway, as a newcomer to the FTTC world I have a few questions...

Will I keep my same PN IP address?  Will it be a fixed IP?
Will I still have the "pro" add on, or is this now irrelevant with FTTC?
I've ordered a fibre router with my package, but are they different - isnt it just a case of moving the DSLAM closer, so would a normal ADSL2 router not do the job?  Or have I not done nearly enough reading about the differences?
Whats the range like on the PN router that you get - any good or should I be prepared to use my existing wirless router as a booster?
Should I expect better ping times (I like my online gaming, and having a constant battle with interleaving on/off has not been fun).
Any information much appreciated by a newbie to what I hope to be the great world of FTTC.

Next step FTTP Smiley
1 REPLY 1
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: FTTC newbie questions

Will I keep my same PN IP address?  Will it be a fixed IP?

Your IP should stay the same.
Will I still have the "pro" add on, or is this now irrelevant with FTTC?

Unless you remove it, it'll remain. Personally I'm on Unlimited Fibre and there's absolutely no need for the Pro add-on. There are no rate limits in place on Unlimited anyway.
I've ordered a fibre router with my package, but are they different - isnt it just a case of moving the DSLAM closer, so would a normal ADSL2 router not do the job?  Or have I not done nearly enough reading about the differences?

The engineer will install a new faceplate and supply a modem. The router we'll send will connect using an ethernet cable to this modem. An ADSL2+ router wouldn't be able to do this.
Whats the range like on the PN router that you get - any good or should I be prepared to use my existing wirless router as a booster?

It's the 582n router that we use for ADSL, with a different firmware on. So if you're already using one of these, then the range should stay the same.
Should I expect better ping times (I like my online gaming, and having a constant battle with interleaving on/off has not been fun).

My ping times improved slightly, but not significantly.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.