cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC modem substitute

square
Grafter

FTTC modem substitute

My FTTC went down on Monday and apparently it takes a long time to arrange an engineer call out. Or at least, one that BT keeps.
Since it seems that the BT modem is quite often the equipment that fails I wonder if anybody had any recommendations.
Does anybody use anything other than the BT supplied modem?
If so, what, where did you get it from, how much does it cost and how does it compare for performance?
(Apologies if this has already been covered but I am now on dial up)
6 REPLIES 6
knowdice
Rising Star

Re: FTTC modem substitute

Draytek 2750 and AVM Fritx!Box 7390 both have been shown to work on BT Infinity...
AshleyHinton
Grafter

Installed a Draytek 2750n (n being the version which has wireless) on Saturday and all OK so far.
No more two box, two mains transformers, two lots of electricity being used.
Draytek have a set-up guide on their web site "for BT Infinity" - simply follow it, entering your PN username & password in the relevant PPPoE section.
http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb/kb_vigor_v2750_setup.html
Note there are 3 versions of this router:
2750 - 4 port, non-wireless.
2750n - 4 port, wireless B/G/N
2750vn - 4 port, wireless B/G/N, VoIP
So far I've been very impressed - it has some nice little features such as VPN dial-in (negating the need for open ports), I've got it running using PPTP but it looks like theres also IPSEC support. Two USB ports - one can be configured for a backup 3G dongle, the other you can plug in a memory stick or hard drive for the router to become a NAS server (FTP & SMB supported) with user level read/write configuration.
No longer do we need to fire-up the computer or consider running a dedicated NAS drive, at the moment our music fits comfortably on a 32GB USB stick.
Happy days for our Sonos music players.
Line stats are available. Both basic and in depth.
Profile        State        UP Speed   Down Speed   SNR Upstream   SNR Downstream
  8c        Showtime    9994            35551                              108                56
If you're looking for a router which replaces both your existing router _AND_ the BT VDSL box then the 2750 could be for you Smiley the only downside is price, you're looking at just under £200 on Amazon for the N version but you're getting a serious higher-end soho router for that money.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Just so you are aware, unlike normal broadband, the VDSL modem is part of the FTTC service from BT and it should not be replaced with any other VDSL capable modem not supplied by BT. If a fault develops and you are not using the BT supplied equipment they can refuse to fix the fault, and may even stop the service.
So using your own equipment is at your own risk . And yes, BT can tell if you are not using the supplied equipment.
I'm sure, like the original ADSL where BT supplied the ADSL modem, this restriction will be relaxed but for now it remains.
knowdice
Rising Star

You probably don't want to know this but £165.31 inc VAT from Broadbandstuff  Embarrassed
Also, it simultaneously handles public IP blocks and NAT  Cheesy

AshleyHinton
Grafter

Just to say there is a later (official) Draytek firmware available for the 2750 here:
ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2750/Firmware/v1.5.1/Vigor2750_v1.5.1.zip
The usual advice applies - do not disconnect the router, be patient, do it using ethernet (not wireless) etc.
The update takes a LONG time.. by that it felt like it took 15 minutes or more, do not be tempted to think its not working and restart the router.
Read Draytek's manual. If you brick the router its not my fault Smiley
The newer firmware has some more features, like an iTunes server, and (for me) improved stability.
Personally I've only got SMB installed (music on a memory stick for my Sonos network music players) as installing the other stuff used a bit too much memory and slowed down the router's responsiveness.
I have also got PPTP VPN working if anyone is interested. I have a static IP but the router also supports DynDNS & several other dynamic DNS providers.
Some of my own setup screenshots for VDSL & PPPoE are below.
Regards,
Ashley
mwerle
Grafter

I got the 2750Vn to replace my 2800Vg (anybody want to buy a pretty decent second-hand ADSL2+ router??) and mostly happy with it - at first I thought it wasn't going to suit me because with the 1.4.1 firmware it doesn't support a public IP block (multi-NAT), but with the 1.5.1 firmware it does.   The firmware is still not quite as comprehensive as the 2800Vg was but performance-wise I can't complain and it certainly has far more features than the supplied NetGear.
Here's my VDSL stats:
[tt]
Basic Status            Upstream        Downstream      Unit
Actual Data Rate        1999            39985           Kb/s
SNR                     308             96              0.1dB
[/tt]

It also runs a heck of a lot cooler than the OpenReach modem.  I was supplied with a V2 version of the modem and it was  worryingly  warm to the touch within half an hour of connection so I'm glad I had the DrayTek already to hand to swap it out.