Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC microfilter

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

FTTC microfilter

Looking at getting rid of the big master socket that I keep banging my leg into.
Which microfilters work on filtering the FTTC signal?
Would be nice to move the hub around the house once in a blue moon
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
13 REPLIES 13
ajbrown1965
Grafter

Re: FTTC microfilter

You don't need microfilters with FTTC other than the one built into the new OR faceplate. See the Plusnet Support article here: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/fibre/fibre_faq.shtml#microfilters.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Yes but new FTTC orders no longer need an engineer to the house just a microfilter as it has been an successful trial.
I've found that the BTMF500 filter is being used and have a few around.  Will test and leave feedback
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Speedtests with and without microfilter
With microfilter and not via test socket or pre filtered socket

With microfilter via test socket not via pre filtered socket

With microfilter and not via test socket or pre filtered socket (AGAIN)

Without microfilter not via test socket but via pre filtered socket (original)

There must be some interference when using standard telephone socket but interference disappears when connecting via test socket.
Thought this would be useful for someone.
jimbof
Grafter

Is your test showing your ring wire acting as an antenna or similar?  The BTOR faceplate removes this effect I believe.
I also thought the point of the filters is not for use at the modem, but for use at any phones to prevent audible noise on the phone.  If you had a line installed just for ADSL/VDSL you wouldn't need any filters.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

New FTTC customers are being given an self install option.
This is the scenario of the self install option.
They would be provided a micro filter and an integrated vdsl router.
My ring wire is disconnected, so shouldn't be any interference. I have put the filtered faceplate back and enjoying my speeds again.
jimbof
Grafter

Interesting, makes little sense unless it is just loss from an extra set of connections.
Seems like the support team had better get ready if that is a typical result...
jimbof
Grafter

I guess your original, non-filtered faceplate might be damaged / aged in some way.  Still, you won't be the only one seeing such an effect.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

My house was only built in may 2013 so the sockets shouldn't be ageing.
I was getting full 75mb in my previous house built around 1930's
jimbof
Grafter

I guess the really interesting tests for your setup would be:
the non-filtered faceplate plus microfilter with no phones connected anywhere
and
the non-filtered faceplate plus microfilter with all the extension wiring removed from the back of the faceplate (though not to be advised unless you are friendly with a punchdown tool!)
Unless the faceplate is broken, one of those must yield "good" speeds.
Though I understand VDSL DLM takes ages to recover so you might not want to try something which could see you with slower speed for weeks...
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

TBH when it was at 33mb I could't really tell the speed difference in browsing.
So unless it loads at a quick pace and not at a snails speed then i'm good.
I couldn't get 0.5mb at my friends house yesterday who lives in Northumberland and BT infinity is coming to his area with speeds around 30mb which is fantastic for him (it might not reach 30mb) but is still good!
jimbof
Grafter

I guess people with more marginal connections might be more bothered by this.
Will be interesting to see how the rolling out of this goes.
ScottJames
Grafter

I signed up for FTTC on the 13th of December and there wasn't an option for self install otherwise I would have gone for that, because my install date isn't until the 7th of Jan!
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

I believe it's only EE fibre broadband at the minute. Gradually rolling out