cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC, low errors, will my interleaving be turned off?

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

FTTC, low errors, will my interleaving be turned off?

After some thoughts and opinions.
I recently changed to 40/20 FTTC to save a few quid, my previous connection was around 60/20.
Using the 'line settings' facility on my Fritz!Box VDSL router I've adjusted the target SNR up to 10dB giving a current sync speed of 56160 down (always had 20000 up) and, as a result, I have been connected for 10 days with ZERO downstream CRC errors (upstream has a few but reported as 0.03 per minute which I assume is pretty low).
Will the low error rate and obvious stability eventually prompt DLM to remove interleaving?
Will DLM be upset in any way by my forced high SNR margin?
How long may I have to wait?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
6 REPLIES 6
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: FTTC, low errors, will my interleaving be turned off?

Hey,
It depends how long your lien has been erroring for before you made the change? How long has it been erroring for?
w23
Pro

Before switching to 40/20 (4th July I think) it was on 'full speed' running typically at 60 to 63Mb/s down since I first had Fibre installed, interleaving crept in a couple of years ago and has been there pretty much ever since.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It depends, we don't have access to the Caution Counter information so it can be very difficult to try and get an idea as to when Interleaving might be removed.
If the line remains error free, it could be anywhere up to a month 😕
xreyuk
Grafter

It varies.
I've seen users on Kitz report anything from 2 weeks to 12 weeks.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Pretty much, it could be anywhere, specifically, between 9 days in best case and anywhere up to12 weeks as you've quite rightly said Smiley
w23
Pro

Thanks for that @Xreyuk & Chris.
Of course, the DLM may be seeing something I'm not (the current firmware in the F!B doesn't show FECs for example) so I guess I may have to wait 'a fair while' to see if it might revert to fastpath.
Call me 'w23'