cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC - lines only install

xreyuk
Grafter

Re: FTTC - lines only install

Sky don't let you use your own router, hence all of the 'hacking sky router' threads you find on Google.
Unless it's a recent change to allow you to.
A company shouldn't have to offer a service, the customer should read the T&Cs, that's the whole point of them.
Just because you have a filtered faceplate, doesn't meant everyone else does. I'm sorry that a UK wide company, with millions of customers cannot cater to your individual needs, 'your highness'.
I don't work for plusnet but I'm assuming they haven't had a chance to test one, because if they had, I'm sure they would have releasd it.
Again, regarding your impacted Stars, that's great for you, but you are not Plusnets only customer.
God help Plusnet support should they have to deal with you, I'd just hang up.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Hi,
We've been testing the Openreach self install product, mainly with staff and friends and family of staff members and mainly using the Technicolor VDSL router noted above. We've also been watching the industry results of how self install compares to engineer install.
We don't offer an option in our fibre signup journey to provide your own router for 2 reasons, first 99.99% of people signing up won't have a suitable VDSL router and secondly even if they did the router probably wouldn't have gone through the Openreach testing. While a router doesn't need to go through the Openreach testing, if the vendor hasn't met the standards set by Openreach or if they don't provide ongoing support should the standards change then there's no guarantee the service would continue to work.
As with ADSL, self install FTTC will likely become the norm in time but for the moment it's still a trial process for us.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
adagio
Grafter

Quote from: chenks76
Sky actually do let you use your own router, they just don't offer any tech support should you do so.
And I already have a filtered faceplate.

Why then do you not just go to Sky rather than engage in a pointless argument here?
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Quote from: Xreyuk
Sky don't let you use your own router, hence all of the 'hacking sky router' threads you find on Google.
Unless it's a recent change to allow you to.

yes they do, i had it confirmed from the executive support team when they tried to charge me for a replacement router.
they said i was free to use my own router and when i said your Ts&Cs say otherwise, they said you can if you want it's just we don't offer tech support on it.
when i moved i couldn't take sky with me, so left them.
chenks76
All Star

Quote from: dave
Hi,
We've been testing the Openreach self install product, mainly with staff and friends and family of staff members and mainly using the Technicolor VDSL router noted above. We've also been watching the industry results of how self install compares to engineer install.
We don't offer an option in our fibre signup journey to provide your own router for 2 reasons, first 99.99% of people signing up won't have a suitable VDSL router and secondly even if they did the router probably wouldn't have gone through the Openreach testing. While a router doesn't need to go through the Openreach testing, if the vendor hasn't met the standards set by Openreach or if they don't provide ongoing support should the standards change then there's no guarantee the service would continue to work.
As with ADSL, self install FTTC will likely become the norm in time but for the moment it's still a trial process for us.

in which case, i would happily make myself available for self install testing.
this is the current faceplate i have
chenks76
All Star

Quote from: adagio
Why then do you not just go to Sky rather than engage in a pointless argument here?

because sky force you to take line rental with them, plusnet don't