Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC - lines only install

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

FTTC - lines only install

do Plusnet offer a "lines only" self install option yet for FTTC?
if not, why not?
20 REPLIES 20
AndyH
Grafter

Re: FTTC - lines only install

They do not offer a FTTC modem/router solution yet, so cannot offer 'wires only'.
chenks76
All Star

they could offer it to those who already have their own modem/router though.
afterall, plusnet don't stipulate that you must use their supplied router.
AndyH
Grafter

But how do they know if people have their own modem/router already?
All the ISPs offering 'wires only' supply a VDSL modem/router. It's up to the end user if they want to use what is supplied.
chenks76
All Star

they could ask the question during the process of someone placing a "lines only" order?
it's hardly rocket science.
AndyH
Grafter

A lot of people would think having a router would be enough for FTTC, when it is not. So there would be confusion here.
Most people have the Openreach FTTC modem, but what if that fails during the contract period? What do you replace it with?
You cannot offer a 'wires only' service without being able to provide the equipment to go with it.
chenks76
All Star

my definition of "wires only" is just that... wires only.
ie no router or anything else supplied, just the service connected to your line.
personally i don't need an openreach engineer to come to my house to plug in a modem and change a faceplate.
i also don't want to book time off work and run the risk of the engineer not turning up.
this service would be in addition to existing install options, not a replacement.
i see no problem in any ISP offering such a service.... you know, it was quite common place unless recently with dial-up and ADSL where ISPs didn't supply a router.
my first ADSL supplier didn't provide me with a router, and no dial-up ISP i was with ever provided a modem.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

As the engineer has to visit the cab to change the connection to fibre it makes sense that he then visits the house to complete the install. The majority of customers DO require the modem/ router combination & also a new master socket. I see no reason why PN should change their tried & tested system just to suit 1 customer.
If you are changing ISPs from fibre to fibre then obviously there is no visit required.
chenks76
All Star

funny that BT and Sky already provide a "wires only" install (they just post a router out as part of the install) - no engineer visits the premises.
seems to work for them, no reason why it can't for plusnet.
and as i said, i'm not suggesting making a "wires only" the only option, but add it as an additional optional install.
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: chenks76
funny that BT and Sky already provide a "wires only" install (they just post a router out as part of the install) - no engineer visits the premises.
seems to work for them, no reason why it can't for plusnet.

Because they have a tested VDSL modem/router they send out, Plusnet do not have this.
If the TG582N was a VDSL modem/router, then I am sure Plusnet would offer 'wires only'.
chenks76
All Star

with respect AndyH, that's and excuse for not offering it, not a reason.
anyway, unless you are replying on behalf of plusnet then you are simply guessing.
if the reason is that they have a big stock of technicolor routers that they want to shift then i shake my head in disbelief.
AndyH
Grafter

It's not guessing, it's common sense.
An ISP cannot offer a wires-only service, without providing the appropriate equipment. There may well be some customers that already have the correct modem/router and faceplate filter, but the majority will not have this.
Plusnet have tested a Technicolor VDSL modem/router (there is a thread on here somewhere), but there has been no mention on plans to implement it.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

It's pretty simple really. If a customer is absolutely hell bent on using a combined modem/ router which is supplied by their ISP then they can use BT or Sky & accept their awful customer support.
Personally I couldn't care less, I'm more than happy with PN.
xreyuk
Grafter

Quote from: chenks76
with respect AndyH, that's and excuse for not offering it, not a reason.
anyway, unless you are replying on behalf of plusnet then you are simply guessing.
if the reason is that they have a big stock of technicolor routers that they want to shift then i shake my head in disbelief.

Your argument is null.
You are saying that other ISPs are offering a 'wires-only' install option, and complaining that Plusnet are not. You are incorrect, no ISP offers a 'wires-only' install.
Other ISPs are not offering a 'wires-only' install, they are offering a 'self-install' option, in which they send out a router they have a had chance to test, and modify to their needs. At present, Plusnet have not had chance to test (and possibly modify) a router to their needs, so therefore they do not offer a self-install option. It's not an 'excuse', it's a company taking their time and sending out a product fit for purpose. I'd imagine if they did offer a self install option, but sent out a sub standard router, you would be one of the first on here complaining. Can you also imagine the butt hurt this would bring Plusnet for 'unsuspecting' customers trying to save themselves a £50 installation fee, by thinking their ADSL2+ router will work? Plusnet would then have to spend all the time clearing up the mess.
It's not like Plusnet are the minority, it's only Sky and BT that are offering self install, everyone else is still using the modem > router method. Not to mention, the two ISPs that ARE offering self install, tie you down to their routers so that you can't use your own anyway!
Personally, I don't know why you want a self install option, as it's expected offer worse performance, and the reason the 'impacted' line stats have appeared on the BT DSL Checker are rumoured to be because that's what to expect on the self install option.
Self install options use a DSL filter, and not a filtered faceplate like the current method. You are not allowed to install your own filtered faceplate as the socket is owned by BT, and you would be breaking their T&Cs if you did. DSL filters are not as good as the filtered faceplate.
chenks76
All Star

Picking up on a few points from your post.
Sky actually do let you use your own router, they just don't offer any tech support should you do so.
Some would say plusnet already provide a sub standard router for ADSL.
How do you know they've not "had a chance" to test a router? Do you work for plusnet in the router dept? Another posters in this thread says they already have tested a router.
So a company should not offer a particular service just in case an idiot doesn't read the Ts&Cs?
My impacted stats are greater 70Mbps.
And I already have a filtered faceplate.