cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC just wondering.

Devonian
Grafter

FTTC just wondering.

OK, I'm pretty good with all things broadband, 21CN related, I understand how it is delivered, how it works etc.
What I am not so sure about is how FTTC is delivered.
So, exchange to roadside cab is fibre I know that.. but from then on it gets a little hazy.
Do BT run fibre directly to my house from the cab (via poles etc of course) or do I still have copper from my house to the pole?
Do I need a new socket in the house?
Is the phone service provided in the traditional way, just via the fibre?
Simple questions, but as I have never had fibre, and I'm not a telephone engineer, I have no idea.
6 REPLIES 6
apjashley1
Grafter

Re: FTTC just wondering.

It's fibre between the exchange and the (new) green cabinet, then the normal copper phone line between the cabinets and your premises.
(The copper link to the old green cabinet is left in place for the voice service)
You might not need any re-wiring, but the Openreach engineer would fit an updated phone socket where the old one was, and a modem next to it.
This modem connects to equipment in the new cabinet rather than at the exchange, so the copper distance between your premises and the equipment is shorter than it would be for ADSL, and that's why you get the faster speeds.
You'd need a router (Plusnet will send you one) to connect to this modem, so your modem and router will be two separate boxes instead of one combined unit like you're used to for ADSL.
Devonian
Grafter

Cheers mate.
I thought I heard somewhere that it is only fibre to the box.  That seems like doing it on the cheap if you ask me.  Especially if there is an installation charge.
So, does the modem have to be at the main socket in the house? If it does then BT will need to move mine, as there's no power source anywhere near it Wink
My router is currently connected to an extension (I know guys extensions are bad) but I still get 6 meg more than PN's estimate Wink
apjashley1
Grafter

There's an option when you order to have a proper extension fitted by the Openreach engineer while he's there, so you could have the box located near your power supply if you like.
FTTP (to the premises) is what you're thinking of where it's fibre all the way between the exchange and your premises, and it's very expensive to install as it means digging and laying new wires - whereas the copper is already laid between your house and the cabinet.
FTTP will reach more places soon - it's already getting installed at some new-build estates for example.
Devonian
Grafter

My extension is fine, BT fitted it even though I'm more than capable, last time it was checked I was told the signal was identical to the test  socket, so I'm lucky Smiley
I doubt Paignton will ever get FTTP.
We only got FTTC because the council paid for it.. little towns in Devon don't get anything.  Crazy
AndyH
Grafter

You will eventually get FTTP.
It just might take a decade or two....
Devonian
Grafter

or 3 or 4...
We only just got cable... well I mean part of Paignton just got cable.. I wont see that either Wink