cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC just installed - Possible upload speed issue

zackarydoo
Grafter

FTTC just installed - Possible upload speed issue

I've just had my fibre broadband installed today. There is a fault on the line that I won't get into here as it's the wrong place, and BT are aware of it, but for now all my extensions are disconnected and I'm running my phones off the master socket. Hopefully BT will get back to me about that soon. I'm otherwise very happy with the performance so far apart from a possible upload speed issue.
When I do a speed test, the upload speed will seem to go to to around 18Mbps, but half way through the test will suddenly drop to around 8, then slowly increase up to somewhere around 12 until the test ends. It's like this every time, and I've tried different testing sites. Is this something others have had? Is it a sign of any fault that anyone has seen before? Seeing as there are no extensions connected in the house for now and also the download test works fine, I'd be surprised if there was anything wrong in the house causing it. Who knows though, I'm not sure what to think. Oh and I am hard-wired to my router, not WiFi.
Any thoughts and ideas about this would be appreciated please.
Oh and I'll try not to boast about my 73Mbps download speed and 5ms ping (wow I didn't think 5ms was possible!).   Cheesy  Grin
[Edit] One of the speed tests I did has shown very well what's going on. Assuming all tests people carry out remain on the site, this link shows the details....
http://mcslhr.visualware.com/myspeed/db/report?id=748857
You can see how the upload speed is going at around 20Mbps then drops suddenly, then slowly climbs again.
4 REPLIES 4
zackarydoo
Grafter

Re: FTTC just installed - Possible upload speed issue

Well now my download speed has gone down from 73Mbps to about 20Mbps. I really hope this isn't due to evening congestion. Getting a bit worried now.
zackarydoo
Grafter

Well I have found the problem (the upload issue anyway).
What I have done is change the router from my own router to the one sent by Plusnet. Now, when I do a speed test (which I have done 3 times on different sites to confirm it's ok), the upload does not jump down while running the test. So although I have no idea why my router was doing it, at least I now know that it is a router issue and not a problem with my connection.
As for my comment on the download speed decreasing - Well I don't think that's a router issue but I'll just keep an eye on it.
My router is a Netgear WNDR3800, so if anyone has had similar problems, I'd appreciate some hints as to what might be causing this problem please. I'd much rather go back to using that router as it has the Gigabit ports that I need for my NAS.
Many thanks.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Afraid I can't advise on anything specific, but if the Netgear is already running its latest firmware the only thing I could really think of would be a gigabit switch? Just plug that via cable into the router you're using then plug everything gigabit into that.
zackarydoo
Grafter

Thanks for the reply Matt. I'm sorry but I forgot to update this thread last night, and also the email notification of replies in this forum were going to SPAM, so I've fixed that.
Anyway, I have actually found the problem, which was that I have QoS enabled in my router. I'm not too sure why that affected the upload speed in the way it did, but for whatever reason, disabling QoS has resolved that problem.
Thanks,
Geoff.