Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC installed sync higher than throughput

chrish16
Grafter

FTTC installed sync higher than throughput

Hi
I've just moved house with FTTC in the old house and had FTTC installed in the new house.  The engineer said the modem was syncing at 80Mbps down and 20Mbps up.  The upload is testing at about 18Mbps but the download is only testing at about 36Mbps and that's the download speed I had at the old house.  Is there some sort of cap on my account?
The speedtests have been down with a Lan cable to the router and its 1Gbps connection.  I've tried speedtest.net, bbmax speedtest, thinkbroadband and the BT tester in the morning and at night and they all come out the same.
8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: FTTC installed sync higher than throughput

this will be wrong - a phone call to support should get it fixed - https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
a BT speedtest - further diagnostics - if they work will confirm the sync speed
Just had a thought
When you moved did your product change to Unlimited Fibre or Unlimited Fibre Extra as the former has a 40Mb/s limit
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

It's the 80/20 product Oldjim.
I've updated the Speed Profile for you anyhow, if you restart the Plusnet router (not the Openreach Modem) that should clear things for you.
chrish16
Grafter

Hi Chris
I'm out now, but will check in a couple of hours.
Does that mean my account has only been on profile 40/10? If so that means I could of had faster broadband in my old house, that's a bit unfair. I did query if I was on the 40/10 product when I first got FTTC but was told that was the fastest.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It means that the profile here wasn't set correctly https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
There is no restriction on upload speed
The odds are that at your old house you were hitting a sync speed of about 36Mbps with the associated lower upstream speed but when moving to the new property the Plusnet copy of the profile transferred to the new connection and that is what Chris fixed
chrish16
Grafter

Hi, Can a plusnet forum administrator be able to find this out and comment please.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Have your speeds improved?
chrish16
Grafter

Hi Chris
Yes they have.
My question is have I been set a a speed profile at my old house lower than my line could support?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The speed profile set at your old property was lower as your speeds were lower at your old property. As your speeds at the new property are higher, we've adjusted the Speed Profile accordingly.