cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC installation imminent - Plusnet router has inappropriate instructions?

grahamt
Rising Star

FTTC installation imminent - Plusnet router has inappropriate instructions?

I'm having FTTC installed on August 8th. Plusnet sent me a Netgear WNR 1000 router soon after I placed my order - great.
However, I'm not convinced it has come with the right instructions. There was no CD and installation instructions inside the actual box, as the box claimed. Instead there were some Plusnet instructions attached to the outside of the box. They began, rather unpromisingly, "Thanks for taking part in our Fibre To The Cabinet (FTTC) trial." Hmm - the trial's been over for at least four months now.
The instructions go on to suggest preparing the router before the engineer arrives, specifically saying I should insert my Plusnet ID & password and configure the wireless SSID and passphrase. However, when I accessed the router it already had tr069@plusdsl.net as the ID and a default Plusnet SSID. I may want to change the SSID eventually, but I'm assuming it's best to leave both the tr069 (for automatic remote configuration) and the default SSID for the moment.
I will want a full instruction manual so that I can do some other things with the router (e.g. setting up a static IP address for my print server). OK, I can probably figure many things out from the router's help files, and I can probably download a manual from the internet, but in principle I think the router should come with a full manual (or at least an indication of where to access one) and it shouldn't come with setup instructions that (though probably harmless) are not appropriate.
So, did I just get a router with some old instructions (I hope so), or is this what everyone gets?
Graham
ps. I've said all this on the ticket relating to my installation, so I'm not asking any of the staff who service the forums to do anything - I just wanted to let people know in case it's a more general issue.
7 REPLIES 7
ffox
Pro

Re: FTTC installation imminent - Plusnet router has inappropriate instructions?

I got 2 conflicting sets of instructions ref the WNR1000 - one said just plug it in and wait, the other said to put the details in myself.  Unlike yours,  nothing had been pre-entered in mine, so the second set of instructions applied.  I'd still be waiting if I'd followed the first set!
The user manual can be accessed from the router GUI under Documentation.
Vip3r
Grafter

Hi, The manuals are available form here.
It sounds odd that you did not have the documentation and install CD (Not needed). I am guessing that somebody at plusnet have opened it and added the auto setup username in there, but as far as I am aware the only router that the auto setup works with is the Thomson ones.
With that username you will only be able to access the plusnet website, you will need to put your account details into it before you will be able to  use it normally.
Dave.
square
Grafter

My router also came set up as yours is and the instructions were for the fibre trials. I followed the setup instructions as per the trials and everything works fine. I would point out that once the engineer has setup the modem you will need to ring PlusNet to notify them. It then takes about half an hour for them to set their side up. At least, that was the case for me but then I was migrating in.
Hope all goes well.
reddev87
Grafter

I'm due to have FTTC hooked up on the 2nd of August, and I had a similar story with my router.
But to be honest there's not much to worry about. Even though the instructions say "Thanks for taking part in the FTTC trial", the instructions remain the same for the live product. PN just haven't made new copies of the instructions yet, no biggie.
Also, changing the tr069@plusdsl.net username to your real one will do no harm, as the TR069 settings are already set up in Advanced -> TR-069 Client.
One issue I did come across though was the IP address of the router. The instructions state 192.168.1.1, when in fact mine was 192.168.1.254. Not a big issue, just thought it was worth a mention.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@grahamt
Thanks for posting about this. In our eyes its not a general issue as we've only heard literally a couple of reports of this happening. Obviously the contents should be as per what's listed on the box and there should be no mention of a fibre trial.
Sorry if this has led to any inconvenience. Do you need any more help from us on that front?
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
grahamt
Rising Star

Thanks, everyone.
Adam - no need for any further help at the moment - I'm sure I'll be OK.
Graham
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: Vip3r
I am guessing that somebody at plusnet have opened it and added the auto setup username in there

Nope. The 'auto setup username' is built into the firmware. We still have stock from when we were running the trials which is why the kit is being sent out in a branded box with trial instructions. There's not many of these left, so as soon as the stock is depleted, the routers will be sent out in a plain brown box with the correct inserts etc.
Quote from: Vip3r
... as far as I am aware the only router that the auto setup works with is the Thomson ones.

It works with the fibre routers too.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵