cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC install

Roblister
Grafter

FTTC install

FTTC has just become available in our area, literally overnight.  I have placed the upgrade order and got a date for the engineer visit.  PN are posting the new router.  Can anyone tell me what router is supplied and is the modem integral to the router or separate.  If separate will that be included with the router when it arrives or will Mr Openreach bring that along with him.  I am hoping the modem is a separate thing as I intend using my existing Draytek Vigor 2830n which has a port that accepts the new modem required for FTTC.
9 REPLIES 9
wykehamhouse
Grafter

Re: FTTC install

The router supplied currently is the Thomson TG582N, which for FTTC, is a router only. Therefore, Openreach should bring an FTTC modem too.
However, you can now use your Vigor as the modem and router with no problems: the rules have changed on using your own modem (you can now).
Hopefully, Plusnet will be providing a combined VDSL modem/router soon (from what we know, it is to be the TG589v3).
Roblister
Grafter

Thank's.  I don't think my Draytek has the modem built in from what I have read.  I believe I need use the port that takes an ethernet input PPPoE which the modem sends out.  I could be wrong.
I have just noticed that they sent me a TG582n recently when I joined PN with the standard ADSL service.  Still in it's box as I am using the Draytek.  If the TG582n is for a fibre install, does this mean they sent me the wrong router when I ordered the ADSL in the first place?
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Correct about your Vigor - It hasn't got a built in VDSL modem and you'll need to use the ethernet WAN port.
Plusnet use the same router for both ADSL and FTTC connections but they run different firmware.  The FTTC version converts one of the LAN ports to be a WAN port.
wykehamhouse
Grafter

You can turn the TG582N into an FTTC compatible router with the 10.2.5.2 firmware found here: http://products.plus-payh.co.uk/firmware/
Although, Plusnet may just end up sending you another one anyway. Did you choose to get one when you ordered?
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

You don't get a choice - The router isn't optional when FTTC ordered. 
If you use your own router, Plusnet may request you use the router they supplied in the event of a fault so don't throw it away...
Roblister
Grafter

I didn't get much choice she said they would need to send a new router.  But at £5.99 to cover postage I wasn't too bothered.  I could flash up this other one and try telling them to cancel sending the new one, but it's not worth the hassle for £5.99.  It was bad enough when I said I would be using my own router.  She said it wouldn't be compatible and would need different firmware.  I didn't argue.
wykehamhouse
Grafter

She was talking utter poo. It'll work just fine. If it doesn't work out of the box, there will be an easy way to make it so :).
Tibbie
Grafter

Hello
I have a TG582n no usb
So, yesterday I placed my order for FTTC.  Smiley
Openreach are attending Dec 27th, plusnet said I needed new router. In the Christmas post by now I presume
If the new router doesn't arrive, will I be able to upgrade the existing one ? as the firmware (http://products.plus-payh.co.uk/firmware/)  for fttc only refers to the 582 with USB port ? and there are two versions  Huh
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

AFAIK the FTTC router has a USB port.
When I was with PN I got a USB port when I ordered fibre.  That was back in June 2012 so it may have changed.
I've thrown away the TG582n sept 2012 as I acquired a BT home hub which worked on PN then I left PN to BT.
So most of the time I was with plus net I had my own preferred router.
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up