Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC install complete - profile nudge?

sotonskyblue
Grafter

FTTC install complete - profile nudge?

FTTC install done this arvo.
Do I need a profile nudge as the BT engineer didn't have a signal to complete his part online?
Current tests are showing:
1. Best Effort Test:
Download Speed : 7.67 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:
Upload Speed : 13.93 Mbps
5 REPLIES 5
balmedie
Dabbler

Re: FTTC install complete - profile nudge?

Funny... I'm in the exactly the same situation (install completed 20 mins ago) - download exactly the same as before - upload faster though.
Cheers
Paul
demonix01
Grafter

I'm not sure why the BT engineer should have any problems setting up a FTTC connection as all the engineer that set up my connection a few weeks ago did was connect the modem into the top socket on the faceplate, connected the router to the modem, turned both on, plugged a device into the phone socket that allowed him to find the line in the cabinet and left to set up the fibre connection (he said once the DSL light on the modem and the internet light on the router came on then everything was set up (I was getting 73 down and 18 up from day one).
Also did you do that speed test through a wired or wireless as some wireless devices can only use some of the speed (my iPod touch could only get a 18MB/s download and my huawei ascend Y300 could only get around a 23MB/s download) even if they're right next to the router.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

@demonix01 - Yours has been updated again now too. A router restart (not modem) should do the trick.
demonix01
Grafter

I think you might have misunderstood what I said, as I was told that some wireless devices can't take full advantage of the higher speeds of fibre broadband.
I'm guessing that the profile update is related to an email I got this morning stating that my line speed is currently 78Mbps even though a speed test still had it at 73 (which is likely what the router restart would fix).
dick:quote
petecov44
Grafter

Quote from: demonix01
I'm not sure why the BT engineer should have any problems setting up a FTTC connection .

They don't.. It's just the BT system does not always update PN and so you stay on the same speeds until PN change your profile at their end. You can reboot your PN router until the cows come home nothing matters. it's the OR modem that causes problems and DLM if you keep doing that.