cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC install appointment...

zzrmatt
Dabbler

FTTC install appointment...

So what is the latest any of you guys have had the engineer turn up?
I know my appointment is some time from 1pm to 6pm today but it has now got to 5pm and the pessimist in me is thinking its going to be an epic no show!  Sad
14 REPLIES 14
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: FTTC install appointment...

Hi zzrmatt,
As far as I can see, on our suppliers systems, the engineer is still due to attend this afternoon, this could be anytime up until 6pm as you say.
zzrmatt
Dabbler

A chap from Kelly Communications rocked up, did the work and has been gone for about 20 mins. Took about 20 mins from turning up to finishing the cabinet work. He was fast efficient and knew what he was doing... Ideal.
I'm about 40m from the Cabinet. Below are some quick stats from before and after. Is there any way I can log in to the BT modem to get the line stats out?
After
Today 17:52 17471 kbps (2.18MB/s) 10084 kbps (1.26MB/s)
Today 17:50 18269 kbps (2.28MB/s) 11962 kbps (1.5MB/s)
Before
Today 14:14 6740 kbps (843kB/s) 916 kbps (115kB/s)
Today 14:13 7462 kbps (933kB/s) 969 kbps (121kB/s)
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You can't get the stats from the modem without hacking it. Your best bet is to run the BT diagnostic speed test: http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/PerformanceTesterWS/diagnostics.do
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
zzrmatt
Dabbler

That comes up with similar numbers as above...
Do I just need to wait for profiles changes to happen to up my speeds to nearer the 40Mbps mark?
The plusnet page says something along the lines of...
Estimated line speed:
    40Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2014-07-17 20:18:47
Current line speed:
    16.6 Mb
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

What did it say for the IP profile?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
zzrmatt
Dabbler

I'm guessing that should be on the BT speed test thing? Apart from the up and down speed info all I got was this:
"Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information."
zzrmatt
Dabbler

Oh and obviously I have tried to re run the test and always get the same....
xreyuk
Grafter

Your profile information doesn't show up in the BT speed tester for the first 14 days.
I was stuck at around 19Mbps speed profile for the first two days as you will be on an 'open profile' until the systems figure out what you should be on. If it doesn't speed up after 3 days (that gives you 2 days for BT to figure it out, and then overnight for Plusnet's systems to catch up) then you might have to ask the PN staff to give it a nudge.
They might just give it a nudge anyway and what I've said will be completely redundant Cheesy
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

PN will have be waiting for the Kelly engineer to let them know that the work is complete. One of the PN forum staff should pick this up this morning & adjust your profile accordingly.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi zzrmatt,
I've just made a few back end changes which should have sorted that our for you. You may need to restart your Plusnet router, no the Openreach Modem) for the changes to take effect.
zzrmatt
Dabbler

Cheers Chris
I'll let you know how it goes
zzrmatt
Dabbler

Chris
Restarted the PN router and I haverun various speed tests the evening and I appear to be down at the 8Mbps area. Just as a matter of interest can you provide me with any detailed stats from your end?  Crc errors, snr, sync rate etc? Cheers
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi,
I've attached all line stats that we have available to us. Please bear in mind that the sync rates will be high but due to the package that you're on, your speeds will be capped at 40/20.
If the speeds continue to be slow, can you try a PPPoE connection to see what speeds you get that way?
http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-how-to-set-up-a-pppoe-dialler-in-vistawindows...
picbits
Rising Star

Also make sure you are using a wired connection - wireless is notoriously variable.